SJD's Notes

sanjosedesi

hmm.. I have been thinking of NCFM.
Sure ... just saw it ... seems interesting. I did an exec-MBA in 2010 ... while I learnt a bit of fundamentals, I think CMT / CTA / NCFM kinda programs might have been a better choice, more so given that the perpetual bullish phase of the desi markets is over ... thanks to our Rajmata, a dumb (dumb as in mute) PM, a dumber crown prince (different meaning of dumb here) and the various didis and bhaiyyas. And there was a time I disliked Jayalalitha ... she seems like a role model of dignity nowadays ;-)

I hope political venting is allowed, otherwise, feel free to edit / delete.

sanjosedesi

Dow Theory

The Dow Theory talks about confirming of averages. Seeing the title I thought it was something like the "Quadra", but no ... it was confirmation of different averages of dow jones - industrials and rails. When both give the same signal, that signal has much better value than entering based on one average but the other average has not confirmed yet. This has many issues ... such as lag in confirming where you may be sitting out of the market during half of a bull run, and probably more whipsaws because you enter late and you exit late.

Anyway, I was wondering how this would be used to desi markets. Comparing bank nifty and nifty is not correct since banks are only a sub-component (however big) of nifty. The alternative is SENSEX. So compare Nifty and Sensex. I have never tracked sensex, but it probably is better to do so.

When will you compare ... I think the biggest comparison points are the breakout or breakdown points. If Nifty is showing a breakout and sensex is not ... it should be a warning sign.

How often will it help? I "suspect" it might help 5 % of the times when you are about to enter breakouts on a daily level. So of course you can not use this confirming signals business as your primarily trading model. You should use them only to check outlier conditions.

Although I never traded at BSE ... I think Bombay Stock Exchange has some value and should be allowed to live ;-)

sanjosedesi

Nothing much to add. Sporadically active but busy with personal stuff. Probably another 10 days. This thread is in hibernate mode after the following comments.

Yesterday and today were interesting days.

Yesterday because of RBI. Saw the charts move 7 minutes before the RBI announcement.

Today because of watching pivots, but actually a pivot breach failure. Bank Nifty futures at around 9800 ... it rammed through the pivot (10 points only) only to reverse so rapidly (80 points in 90 sec) ... wow ! The image below shows a subset of the transactions.

This made me realize what people mean when they say "add a filter / with filter" above the breakout zone (not necessarily with pivots).

Alright, back in a few days.

soft_trader

Nothing much to add. Sporadically active but busy with personal stuff. Probably another 10 days. This thread is in hibernate mode after the following comments.

Yesterday because of RBI. Saw the charts move 7 minutes before the RBI announcement.

Today because of watching pivots, but actually a pivot breach failure. Bank Nifty futures at around 9800 ... it rammed through the pivot (10 points only) only to reverse so rapidly (80 points in 90 sec) ... wow ! The image below shows a subset of the transactions.

This made me realize what people mean when they say "add a filter / with filter" above the breakout zone (not necessarily with pivots).

Can you plz tell. which terminal screen shot is this.?

DanPickUp

You really not need to trade on pivots, specially not on short time pivots (3, 5, 15, or even 60 min). It works in very low volatile markets, but it is absolutely annoying and very painful and nerving in high volatile markets.

How many times are those traders stopped out when trying to trade on those short time pivots :lol: and lose money with that on a permanent road.

sanjosedesi

The Wire

I am on travel, but saw an interesting article about "The Wire". As I might have mentioned it in a PM, or here, I wrote a term paper on the series. Here's someone who actually taught it ...

http://theamericanscholar.org/teaching-the-wire/

This spring, alongside my regular Shakespeare class, I team-taught a course on HBOs The Wire, written by David Simon and Ed Burns. We are not the first university to do thisHarvard and Duke, among others, have also offered courses on the show.

Ours filled up immediately. Students may have thought it would be an easy elective, but if so, they had a rude awakening. The material was not easy. The Wire has plot and linguistic elements as complicated as any Shakespeare play, and its connection to the society it represents is equally as productive of thought and discussion. Im not suggesting the show is on a par with Shakespeare, but The Wire is Shakespearean in scope and ambition.

For those not familiar with the series, it transpires in inner-city Baltimore. The main protagonists are police officers and drug dealers, who are pitted against each other and divided within their respective organizations. These conflicts fan out to affect other parts of the city: the unions (Season 2), the political system (Season 3), the educational system (Season 4), and the media (Season 5). Although the setting is Baltimore, it could be any American city where poverty, ignorance, and crime combine with bureaucracy, laziness, and greed to produce gridlock. One heavy-handed but powerfully metaphorical moment occurs in the opening vignette of Episode 4, Season 1, when the detectives try to move a heavy desk through a narrow space. Only after the men, positioned on both sides of the desk, find themselves winded do they discover that they have been pushing in opposite directions.

The series takes a mostly despairing view of what can be done to solve the systemic problems of urban life. But it presents moments of great pathos, courage, and humor along the way. There are also minor triumphs. It makes for riveting television, important social commentary, and enduring art.

Our course was open only to honors students and limited to an enrollment of 20. I was one of three instructorswho divided one-course remuneration among us for the chance to teach together. In many ways, we instructors reflect the ethnic make-up of the show: I am a Jewish-American woman from the New Jersey suburbs; Dan Driscoll has Irish ancestry and lives in South Philadelphia; and Robert Watts is an African American from Washington, D.C. with time spent, as it happens, in Baltimore. There was lots of overlap here with the creators of the series, Simon and Burns, and the people they brought in as consultants, cowriters, and directorsa diversity reflected in the shows characters.

Joseph Conrad famously proclaimed his goal as above all, to make you see. Conrad was aiming to do this, of course, by the power of the written word. Movies and television may seem too attached to literal seeing to make Conrads conceptual seeing seem relevant. But a show like The Wire is an exception. It requires you to follow closely a complex plot and the often oblique, slang-ridden, and profanity-soaked language. It means determining where a character is feigning or authentic, where a storyline involves foreshadowing and where it is false or cheesy (very little in The Wire is). In this way the show is a literary work. Indeed, the quality of seeinghow rich and contradictory this is with respect to characters motives and the implications of their actionsbecomes an index for how good the work is, regardless of the medium.

In a culture in which words are so often accompanied by images, and where words and images are so often at cross-purposes, to exercise the kind of nuanced seeing that a television series like The Wire demands is not only a compelling experience. It is also a necessary skill.

sanjosedesi

To the mods: I think I am done with this thread. Please CLOSE this thread.

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of the TJ community. I will drop in occasionally but I do not intend to jot down my thoughts any more.

The learning - the market is what it is and you (I) just need to follow where ever it goes !! No hang ups, no remorse, no regret, no ill will ... follow the boss (market) !