Should I Keep My Laptop Battery Plugged In All The Time?

ello TJians,
Should I Keep My Laptop Battery Plugged In All The Time?

I googled this and found 50-50 views.Some say Yes,some say No..

We trade 6hrs to 10hrs a day(EQ or MCX),What do you do?Do you keep laptop battery plugged in or let it dry and charge it and keep this doing whole day?
(Or you got 2-3 Laptops to trade?
Or you have some home inverter?)

This depends on the condition of laptop battery
If laptop battery is new or not that old (though old is very subjective word) or to say charging time is more than 1 hr, then better not to plug it all the time, start charging when battery is low as indicated by battery icon.
But if the battery is already low or on the verge of replacement, then you have no alternative, but to keep it plugged it, all the time, while laptop is on.

This depends on the condition of laptop battery
If laptop battery is new or not that old (though old is very subjective word) or to say charging time is more than 1 hr, then better not to plug it all the time, start charging when battery is low as indicated by battery icon.
But if the battery is already low or on the verge of replacement, then you have no alternative, but to keep it plugged it, all the time, while laptop is on.
At 10% this battery gives low indication warning then it takes 1.30hrs to charge remaining 90%.So its a good battery?
If I do what you suggested then I'd have to charge it 4 times a day because once its charged it gives only 2.30hrs backup.

Battery giving RR 1:1.75 :hilarious:

Last edited:
If it gives you a 2.30 hrs backup then its condition seems to be good. So charge it again, only when, the battery icon show a battery low of 15% or so. If the power position of your area is good/very good, then keep it around 15%, otherwise there is no hard rules for pluging in. It all depends on many factors.

When RR is 1:1.75, you know then its good/average good. :D

My advice would be not to keep it plugged in full time. I don't think the laptop battery has an automatic cut-off when full.

If the battery/computer conks off, there will be a hundred people and your service centre telling you how stupid it is to keep it always plugged in :D

ocil

My advice would be not to keep it plugged in full time. I don't think the laptop battery has an automatic cut-off when full.

If the battery/computer conks off, there will be a hundred people and your service centre telling you how stupid it is to keep it always plugged in :D
It depends on your laptop model. New laptop /battery has an auto cut off option even when plugging in. But old laptop does not have this option. I am also using a laptop for trading. but without battery. I am using with my inverter so no battery required.

Hey Rivi,

To answer your question, yes, you can run your lappy directly from the AC power source, as long as you are using the original power adapter. Your machine will work just fine but if you don't have a power backup (inverter) installed at your home/office, then your lappy will abruptly shut down whenever the main power supply goes off. If the power failure occurs during trading hours then that could be a p.i.t.a.

Your profile says you are a scalper, so I would suggest that you not to remove the battery if you don't have a good inverter installed at your place.

Now, just in case, you do not have an inverter and you decide to remove the laptop battery, be mindful of carrying out a few trades via the mobile app, as well. Although, almost all brokers have a mobile app these days, the modus operandi and the screen layout may not be exactly the same as you have gotten used to seeing on your laptop screen. So be aware of that and carry out a few trades through the mobile app, lest you punch in an erroneous entry and screw the trade due to the stress associated with day trading.

Another point to consider is that it makes more sense to remove the battery if your laptop is new or is just a few months old. If you use your laptop at one place and don't move around, if really makes sense to remove the battery to extend it's life (less wear and tear of the battery). Make sure the battery is fully charged before you remove it and charge it once every 3-4 months or when ever the battery power drops to 10 percent or so. Any rechargeable battery will naturally discharge over time even if it's not connected. So, don't throw caution to the winds, for a totally discharged battery kept in the cupboard is the last thing you'll ever want.

iwillwin

It depends on your laptop model. New laptop /battery has an auto cut off option even when plugging in. But old laptop does not have this option. I am also using a laptop for trading. but without battery. I am using with my inverter so no battery required.
Inverter itself is a battery, so have redundancy if the stakes are high.... often rarest of the rare things happen when u least expect it....

Inverter is a basic necessity for a trader using laptop/desktop, if there is a power shortage (load shedding) in their area/locality.

soft_trader

Keep it plugged all time, nothing will happen. Also laptop uses li-ion battery and draining the battery to 0% and then recharging it will hamper the life of the battery. Best practise is to charge the battery whenever it falls in the range if 30-50%. Same rule goes for mobile battery also.