Self talk for Trading

newtrader101

I NEVER buy or sell the break out of a trading range. If the trading day is a larger trading range type day, then I fade all breakouts. However, if it is a trending day, I wait for the break out to fail and start to pull back. Once the pull back slows down, I look to join in if prices turn back with trend again.

Note:These entries are based on MACK's PAT manual.

Last edited:

primitivetrader

I do not take counter trend trades until after:
  1. The break of an important trend line, and then
  2. I look for one more move to re-test that new high/low, and then
  3. Wait for prices to move to the other side of the EMA
You could've written, I am taking trade only when.... Conditions...

primitivetrader

I NEVER buy or sell the break out of a trading range. If the trading day is a larger trading range type day, then I fade all breakouts. However, if it is a trending day, I wait for the break out to fail and start to pull back. Once the pull back slows down, I look to join in if prices turn back with trend again.

Note:These entries are based on MACK's PAT manual.
Good to read you have started using PA. I hope you have the pat manual.
Start your self talk positively. Never,will not,do not- avoid such words. Be assertive in more positive way. Keep it short and in present continuous.

newtrader101

I am a disciplined trader. I trade on the --- minutes chart. I limit my trades to two a day.

I use stop loss. I keep my stop loss at the recent swing high or low.. I take a screen shot of each trade. I record each of my trades. At the end of the day, I review my trades to find where I went wrong and how to improve.

I check the risk and reward of each trade. I enter a trade only if the risk to reward ratio is equal to or less than 0.5.

After my initial target is reached, I trail it by moving the stop.

I use money management. I keep my total risk less than 5% of my total margin in a trade. That is, if the risk is more than 5% of my margin, I avoid that trade.

I read at least a page of the same trading book everyday till I complete it.

I do yoga/exercise every day. I prepare myself for each trading session by warming up with some light exercise. I am moderate in my lifestyle- eating, drinking, sleeping etc.

Before and after a trade, I erase all previous trades from my memory- wins and losses.

I avoid trading just before a news release.

I read positive thinking books.

I trade only one instrument and one strategy and one time frame until I feel comfortable using the strategy.

I memorise important price levels- these are usually the previous highs, lows, and congestion areas. Today's open, high, low, and previous day's close are also important levels.

I always trade with the trend. I confirm a trend reversal only when price breaks the trend line, and retests the previous high or low. I enter only on pull backs to the EMA.

I avoid taking counter trend trades until after:
  • The break of an important trend line, and then
  • One more move to re-test that new high/low, and then
  • Wait for prices to move to the other side of the EMA

In break outs, I wait for a retest of the high or low.

I avoid buying or selling the break out of a trading range. If the trading day is a larger trading range type day, then I fade all breakouts. However, if it is a trending day, I wait for the break out to fail and start to pull back. Once the pullback slows down, I look to join in if prices turn back with trend again.

I avoid trading when I am not well - emotionally or physically.

The market is a speeding train. I avoid standing in its way, but try to catch a ride when opportunities present themselves.

If I am winning, I do not increase my capital overnight. I increase it gradually, or I use only the profits to reinvest.

By strictly following the entry rules, I might miss some entries (e.g- when pull backs don’t happen)--but this minimises my losses if and when a trade fails.

Trading keeps me intellectually fit and alert; but I keep my mind free to live life fully each moment. In other words, I try to find joy in each and every task.

Before and after a trade, I erase all previous trades from my memory- wins and losses.
How do you do that ?? For me the ghosts of my past trades haunt me, specially during the trading hours.

Excellent writeup. A gem.

TraderRavi

low risk profile
How do you do that ?? For me the ghosts of my past trades haunt me, specially during the trading hours.

Excellent writeup. A gem.
losses/ drawdown in trading account forces a trader to take risks and confidence level goes down. while a green account takes away much pressure and trader is much confident to take trades.

newtrader101

How do you do that ?? For me the ghosts of my past trades haunt me, specially during the trading hours...
Hi TP,
true its not easy. It is a constant endeavour to live in the present, which naturally extends into trading.
Uncontrolled thoughts (usually about the past or the future) are greatly harmful. We do not notice any immediate consequences, but eventually they trigger us into unwholeseome actions. Self talk as in Shad Helmstetter's book helped me see my thinking habits. Now when an unwholesome thought raises its head, I sense the eventual danger it is leading me into. Many of our traditional precepts help to recognise such thoughts (like the Yama Niyamas in Raja Yoga, "Judge not so that you be not judged"...Jesus Christ).

Repeatedly reminding oneself "but that is not true now. It is over and past. It is not real now. Now This alone is real." Gradually we'll learn to let go of the past and the future and come here. Ofcourse we will fail. Just keep at it and you'll notice improvement, some what like a price wave :).

Eckhart Tolle's Power of Now is a great read on present moment living.

Last edited: