Rolling pivot afl needed

extremist

MM

I have put absolute value on PD, as the difference comes negative,
With negative values , the Pivot high and pivot low values are reversed.
Also if you check the original formula, RPH and RPL are with respect to Daily Pivot ,hence P1.

Also please explain what is the difference between "Expandfirst" and "Expandlast".
The Basic concept of Pivot is to derive levels for coming day from the past days

so if u do Expand first it will keep taking the current day values also.

In tht way u will see tht ur levels r repainting whn the prior high / low level is breached.

Expand last will serve the purpose.

amitrandive

The Basic concept of Pivot is to derive levels for coming day from the past days

so if u do Expand first it will keep taking the current day values also.

In tht way u will see tht ur levels r repainting whn the prior high / low level is breached.

Expand last will serve the purpose.
Thanks for explanation Extremist.
:clapping:

mastermind007

MM

I have put absolute value on PD, as the difference comes negative,
With negative values , the Pivot high and pivot low values are reversed.
Also if you check the original formula, RPH and RPL are with respect to Daily Pivot ,hence P1.

Also please explain what is the difference between "Expandfirst" and "Expandlast".
Amit

Yes, difference can be negative and IMHO that is normal and should not be masked away just to make calculations seem normal. Usually this will happen after a very rapid move (high Volatility) and markets will be unstable.

By not using absolutes, lower pivot may plot above the higher pivot. That cannot be called reversal of pivots.

That is imbalance and there is no need to suppress it away.

Even in T3B system, I had seen on official charts, there are times when trough line is above the peak line...

T3B trainers call it "no trade zone.." (neither entry nor exit). And that is very very important to save yourself.

Regarding P1 and P3
You do have a point and the definition is bit vague on that. Since the formula is spelled out in English, it is reasonable to expect as programmer to see that all the terms are defined. As a programmer, it would be wrong to assume something and insert something that has not been written.

As a trader, your calculation does seem to make sense .... Do testing and decide what is better

expandFirst, expandLast

Whenever your formula relies on most recent Close of the day, you will get better results by using expandLast.

Last edited:

amitrandive

Amit

Yes, difference can be negative and IMHO that is normal and should not be masked away just to make calculations seem normal. Usually this will happen after a very rapid move (high Volatility) and markets will be unstable.

By not using absolutes, lower pivot may plot above the higher pivot. That cannot be called reversal of pivots.

That is imbalance and there is no need to suppress it away.

Even in T3B system, I had seen on official charts, there are times when trough line is above the peak line...

T3B trainers call it "no trade zone.." (neither entry nor exit). And that is very very important to save yourself.

Regarding P1 and P3
You do have a point and the definition is bit vague on that. Since the formula is spelled out in English, it is reasonable to expect as programmer to see that all the terms are defined. As a programmer, it would be wrong to assume something and insert something that has not been written.

As a trader, your calculation does seem to make sense .... Do testing and decide what is better

expandFirst, expandLast

Whenever your formula relies on most recent Close of the day, you will get better results by using expandLast.
MM

Thanks for your reply.
The below references where I got this

mastermind007

MM

Thanks for your reply.

Ohhh Which book is this.... ?

Based upon this and also what extremist had said, I'd say that the formula would still be using current, but Ref -1 would move to higher level covering all 3 things. Something like this

threeDayPivot = Ref ( ( HHV(High, 3) + LLV(Low, 3) + Close) / 3, -1);
differentialNumber = Ref(((HHV(High, 3) + LLV(Low, 3)) / 2 ), -1);

mastermind007

MM

Thanks for your reply.

Based upon this and also what extremist had said, I'd say that the formula would still be using current, but Ref -1 would move to higher level covering all 3 things. Something like this

differentialNumber = threeDayPivot - Ref(((HHV(High, 3) + LLV(Low, 3)) / 2 ), -1);

amitrandive

differentialNumber = Ref(((HHV(High, 3) + LLV(Low, 3)) / 2 ), -1);
This book is ,
The Logical Trader by Mark Fischer.

amitrandive

differentialNumber = threeDayPivot - Ref(((HHV(High, 3) + LLV(Low, 3)) / 2 ), -1);
MM

As per what you are saying the entire calculation goes to the previous day , not the current day ?

mastermind007

Looks like, I've dabbled in this code before ....

http://www.traderji.com/amibroker/87408-need-afl-help-previous-days-high-low-close-3.html#post888973