Restoring Traders/Investors Faith into Investing

Einstein

5 Common Mistakes New Investors Make

The Bottom Line
Young investors should take advantage of their age and their increased ability to take on risk. Applying investing fundamentals early can help lead to a bigger portfolio later in life. There are also many risks that a young/less-experienced investor will face when making decisions. Hopefully, avoiding some of the common mistakes above will help you embark on a fruitful investing career.

1. Procrastinating
Procrastination is never good, but it can be especially detrimental while investing, because the markets move so quickly. Good investment ideas are not always easy to find. If, after doing research, a good investment idea arises, it is important to act on it before the rest of the market takes note and beats you to it. Young investors can be particularly prone to not acting on a good idea out of fear or inexperience.

2. Speculating Instead of Investing
An investor's age affects how much risk an he or she can take on. So, a young investor can seek out bigger returns by taking bigger risks. This is because if a young investor loses money, there is time to recover the losses through income generation. This may seem like an argument for a young investor to speculate, but it is not.

Instead of speculating and gambling, a young investor should look to invest in companies that have lower risk but greater upside potential over the long term.

3. Using Too Much Leverage
Leverage has its benefits and its pitfalls. If there is ever a time when investors have the ability to add leverage to their portfolios, it is when they are young. As mentioned earlier, young investors are more able to recover from losses through future income generation. However, similar to speculation, leverage can shatter even a good portfolio.

If a young investor is able to stomach a 20-25% drop in his or her portfolio without getting discouraged, the 40-50% drop that would result at two times leverage may be too much to handle.

4. Not Asking Enough Questions
If a stock drops a lot, a young investor might expect it to bounce right back, but more often than not, it is down for good reason. One of the most important factors in forming investment decisions is asking questions. If an asset is trading at half of an investor's perceived value, there is a reason and it is the investor's responsibility to find it. Young investors who have not experienced the pitfalls of investing can be particularly susceptible to making decisions without locating all the pertinent information.

5. Not Investing
As mentioned earlier, investors have the best ability to seek a higher return and take on higher risk when they have a long-term time horizon. Investors have their longest time horizons, and therefore a high tolerance for risk, when they are young. Young people also tend to be less experienced with having money. As a result, they are often tempted to focus on how money can benefit them in the present, without focusing on any long-term goals (such as retirement). Spending money now instead of saving and investing can create bad habits and contribute to a lack of savings and retirement funds. (For more on this, read Young Investors: What Are You Waiting For?)

The Bottom Line
Young investors should take advantage of their age and their increased ability to take on risk. Applying investing fundamentals early can help lead to a bigger portfolio later in life. There are also many risks that a young/less-experienced investor will face when making decisions. Hopefully, avoiding some of the common mistakes above will help you embark on a fruitful investing career.

Einstein

If you are comparing S&P 500 to your portfolio then you are not comparing apples to apples. S&P 500 represents risk borne by an average investor while same does not hold true when you are investing in India.

Market risk premium for both the markets are different and then you need add the interest rate parity as well (lets not go into the details) Crux of the matter is that set a right benchmark for your investments. NSE or BSE indices might be a good benchmark for you if you investing in India. If you able to bear the benchmark consistently then you are generating alpha(net of transaction cost and taxes) else you are better off by investing in low cost index funds.

This is one of the fundamental mistakes that we make because risk is not same in a developed economy and in an emerging economy.
trust me, I carefully consider bond rate and interest rate into my valuations, as my valuations methods were for USA investors.

lets compare that with nifty, nifty made 5% this year. 1-1-2013 it was on 5920 and yesterday it was 6220. 5% vs. 28-29%. :cheers:
(this is the portfolio, which contain expensive stocks too.., not my personal holding)

one thing to note here that we are in side ways market since 2010.

trust me, I carefully consider bond rate and interest rate into my valuations, as my valuations methods were for USA investors.

lets compare that with nifty, nifty made 5% this year. 1-1-2013 it was on 5920 and yesterday it was 6220. 5% vs. 28-29%. :cheers:
(this is the portfolio, which contain expensive stocks too.., not my personal holding)

one thing to note here that we are in side ways market since 2010.
What I meant was this:

To calculate Cost of equity you would use: CoE = RFR + Beta*MRP

Now MRP in India is higher while for US it is around 7% historically in last 10 yrs. While RFR in US is around 2% tied close to its historical GPD growth while in India it is 6-8%, there are lot of firms operating in India which are considered safer than India and rated higher by rating agencies.

I was talking about that point, lets say you came up with MPR of 10% for India now my point is you cannot use same MRP in the USA. As long as you restricting yourself to a particular market with respective MPR you are good and same goes for benchmark.

BTW great initiative, this thread has lot of points to start one's initial research.

Sir Einstein

This is a very interesting thread you run here. Any new stocks you choosed for your current portfolio?

Einstein

@Somatung, yes currently working on list of 150+ companies, work is 50% done. will post the list before new year, keep in touch.

@rockstar, you'have good sense when it comes to investing, FMCG sector is the only sector in India which is really growing at an incredible pace. mainly because of huge consumption power of middle class in india. same story is with ITC, Asian paints, Dabur, page industries. BUT should not buy any company where there is no margin of safety in Dabur(price factor).

If you're a truck driver and your truck weights 10 ton, will you go over a bride whose capacity is just 12 tons, no you'll find a safe way which can handle atleast 30-50 tons. price-wise: intrensic value of Dabur is at 150-170Rs per share even if you buy it today, expect at least 3-5 years for your in investment to double and it depends on the core growth in the book value of the company itself. so I pass this one..

Page industry is trading 50% discount to its fair value, and it is in my list for 2014 portfolio. Don't just buy right now there are few more details which I will post later on..

Mr.G

If you're a truck driver and your truck weights 10 ton, will you go over a bride whose capacity is just 12 tons, no you'll find a safe way which can handle atleast 30-50 tons.
I read a similar example involving a bridge and a ditch. Where did you pull this example from?

Einstein

If i remember it right, Witney Tilson while speaking at Darden business school. great value investor.

Thanks for the reply Sir. Looking forward for the list from you.

Actually the reason for looking in Dabur and Page industries is that i understand what they do in real sense and i use their products too. :)

Last edited: