Platinum seems safer than gold

I cannot help feeling that there is more glitter in Platinum compared to gold.

Platinum, being a precious metal and an indutrial metal, was generally twice the price of gold but it dipped below gold in October 2008 from where it is recovering. The collapse of auto industry is said to be the cause. Why I think platinum's fall has been overdone is

SCENARIO I.
WORLD ECONOMY COLLAPSES AND PEOPLE LOSE TRUST IN PAPER MONEY.
Investors abandon dollar and scramble for gold. But all gold ever produced on earth is only 1,40,000 tonnes, worth $ 4.5 trillion @ $ 1000/oz. Out of this three quarters is jewellery, artifacts, private collections, for industrial use etc. and only the remaining 25% (35,000 tonnes) is available to world governments, worth $ 1.1 trillion. This is equal to India's GDP for 2007-08, and half the forex reserves of China. US GDP in 2007 was 16 trillion dollars and US debt currently is about $ 11.4 trillion without taking into account the housing debt. So clearly all gold in the world will not suffice for reserve currency, unless gold prices reach stratospheric levels. The scramble for gold will make it shoot up. Platinum will rise with it just because of scarcity of gold, and because it has already crashed 50%.

SCENARIO 2. UTOPIA! STIMULUS INJECTIONS WORK.
World economy improves. Autos start production again. In this case gold will be abandoned and Platinum will go up sharply.
--------------

My hypothesis: Platinum (rather than gold) at current prices will be a safer haven irrespective of world economy going up or down in the next one year.
Kindly give your critical opinion of my views.

Last edited:
In support of my above post please see the gold-platinum chart below. I am no technical analyst. My views are completely fundamental. This chart brings home the breach of the long term 1:2 ratio between platinum and gold for several years.

Silver also have suffered a similar breach from its long term ratio with gold. So has other commodities. But no other metal except platinum has the safe haven potential similar to that of gold, plus the industrial value. Market has not yet acknowledged it but it eventually should. When that happens Platinum should have far more upside than any other precious metal in both scenarios I mentioned in my original post.

Attachments