Pivot Based Trading - 1:2 risk reward ratio (Risk less Profit more)

radha55

Hi All,

I want to introduce a very simple way of trading.

Everyone is aware of Pivots in charts.

It is very difficult to track real time pivot on intraday charts during trading hours.

After surfing lot of site and struggling, i found the way to calculate pivot based on previous day values.

After the pivot is calculated the resistance and support levels are found.

Resistance and support are of two types (using normal method and using fibonacci method.)

You can use any one of them. Both gives good result. Stick to any one method.

The system is as follows, please give your feedback and suggestions.

1. Download the attachment CalculatePivots.zip. Extract the file and open it.
2. Enter previous day high, low and close for any scrip.
3. Pivot is an important value here.
4. Look at the price of stock/underlying at 10:25-10:30 am. (half hour after market opens)
5. For Resistance and support values, you can choose normal values or fibonacci values. Both give good results. It depends upon you which suits you.
6. There are various scenarios which can occur.
-----1. The price is below the Pivot but above S1.
--------In this scenario, you should buy the stock/underlying above Pivot (If price reaches above Pivot) and short sell below S1(if the prcies goes below S1).
----2. The price is above Pivot but below R1.
--------In this scenario, you should buy the stock/underlying above R1 (if the price reaches above R1) and short sell below Pivot(if the price goes below Pivot).
----3. The price is very near to pivot (+/- 0.1%)
--------In this scenario, you should buy the stock/underlying above R1 (if the price reaches above R1) and short sell below S1(if the price reaches below S1).
----4. The price is between R1 and R2.
--------In this scenario, you should buy the stock/underlying above R2 (if the price reaches above R2) and short sell below Pivot(if the price reaches below Pivot). the important here is not to sell below R1. You must sell below Pivot.
----5. The price is between S1 and S2.
--------In this scenario, you should buy the stock/underlying above Pivot (if the price reaches above Pivot) and short sell below S2(if the price reaches below S2). The important here is not to buy above S1, buy only above pivot.
----6. The price is between S2 and S3.
--------Same rule applies as rule 5. Buy above pivot, short sell below S3.
----7. The price is between R2 and R3.
--------Same rule applies as rule 4. Buy above R3, short sell below Pivot.

Keep the profit, stoploss as below

Profit : 0.75% - 1%
Stoploss : 0.5%

Please please do reply with your suggestions.
I hope many of you already knows this.
No theory can become 99% successful without people's suggestions.
Do reply with your valuable comments.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have created a profit/loss report on daily basis for the 3 below mentioned theories

1. Simple Pivot Trading.
2. Modified Pivot Trading.
3. Camarilla Pivot Trading.

I will be updating this profit/loss report every day or every alternate day here on traderji.

You can now see the results of these three theories on daily basis..

Also,
I have already the profit/loss report for all these thoeries for last couple of days. You can go through them if you are intersted in these theories.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I have completed the small version of the tool which gives you Support and Resistance And Pivot for next day.

I am attaching the tool in a zip file.

You will need to follow the below steps to use it.

1. Extract the zip file. Copy the pivot-Trading.htm file at your preferred location.
2. Open the pivot-Trading.htm file. If IE says, popup blocker, you need to click on the popup blocker and select allow blocked content. (This is optional. If you use XP and if your popup blocker is enabled, you will get this message.
3. Now select the 10 scrips or less of your choice which you wish to watch.
4. Click on the start button.
5. Once you click on the start button it will take 5 seconds to calculate all prices and show it in other page.
6. If you get the message "An activeX control on this page might be unsafe."
Select "Yes" option. The activeX control is required to read the prices from bhavcopy.
7. If you wish to watch some other scrips during the day you can select those scrip from (pivot-Trading.htm) file and click on Start button.
8. You will also need to copy the nse bhavcopy from nse website
http:// www.nseindia.com/archives/archives. htm (remove space)
9. Save the bhavcopy at C:\ drive and rename it to nse.csv.

The tool is capable of doing only below things.

1. The tool now calculates prices for selected scrips. You will have to select your wish of 10 scrips out of them. (Total scrips added are 47 - mostly traded scrips.)
2. This tool has a dependency on nse equity bhavcopy. (you need to download it and save it at C:\drive with name as nse.csv.
3. No dynamic alerts are shown at present. I am working on it and will try to do this in few days.
4. You can select only 10 scrips at a time because if you select more scrip, the performance gets affected.

I am attaching the new zip file also. The difference between this new file and old file is, this new file can calculate prices for camarilla system as well. There is already one thread in this forum which speaks about camarilla based trading. There is no other difference between these two zip files.

Last edited:

pkamalesh

Hi radha..Good observation ..I do use pivot calculator to get the support the res/support for the next day...Would be great if u can add a bit more to ur studies/research so that we can use it in real time charts..If we can furthur divide the area between the support and resistance areas it would be great...

columbus

Hi All,

I want to introduce a very simple way of trading.
Thanks,but back tested results of last few days always will HELP.

manojkch

Hi Radha,
Thank you for sharing this method. It will be more helpful if you can tell Stoploss, trailing Stoploss , Probit booking levels and SAR levels.

Regards.
Manoj

radha55

Depends on timeframe you are using. and if u r experienced, you'll find pivots
even on one min chart.
Truely said. Experience helps a lot in identifying the pivots and trading. I have just started trading and still learning. I think such simple calclation can help people like me.

Thanks for replying. Do keep contributing. This thread needs experienced people like you.

radha55

Hi radha..Good observation ..I do use pivot calculator to get the support the res/support for the next day...Would be great if u can add a bit more to ur studies/research so that we can use it in real time charts..If we can furthur divide the area between the support and resistance areas it would be great...
I think dividing the aread between Resistance, pivot and support will be risky,

Still if some one can come up with such a method, it would be great for this thread.

radha55

Hi Radha,
Thank you for sharing this method. It will be more helpful if you can tell Stoploss, trailing Stoploss , Probit booking levels and SAR levels.

Regards.
Manoj
I already mentioned profit % and stop loss percent in my first post.

Profit % : 0.75% - 1%
Stoploss : 0.5%.

The idea is if resistance is broken, it will go somewhere near next resistance (little lower than that)
So keeping 0.75% is safe.
1% is little less safe. But i have observed in market like the markets on friday even this is easily achieved.

Stop loss of 0.5% is necessary because i think if the price crosses pivot or resistance and reverse back then the chance of it crossing the pivot or resistance back is very less.

The beauty of this system is profit is more and risk is less. You keep small stoploss. I am still new, i cannot comment on this but i think so.

radha55

Thanks,but back tested results of last few days always will HELP.
I didnt backtested it.

But i am tracking this since last few days. I found 0.75% is almost always available.

I do found that 0.5% stoploss also gets hit. But the chances are rare.

I however didnt kept record of it, so i cant provide it here.

I will try to record this provided i get time.

The important factor here is to enter market only after 10:25 - 10:30 am. Generally all emotions get finished by this this time. So we can enter with our calculation.

pkamalesh

I think dividing the aread between Resistance, pivot and support will be risky,

Still if some one can come up with such a method, it would be great for this thread.
Thanks radha for the reply..What i meant by dividing the areas was to tweak in other indicators and combine them in case we would want to hold on to the positions after the resistance is reached..using the method of calculating the pivot,supp and resistance, we usually keep our targets of support(below pivot) and resistance(above pivots)..so if we can continue holding the position even after a particular target is reached(only when we are sure..taking help from other indications) it would be a much more profitable system..My views..