Option Chains for Indian Stocks and indexes?

Hello Fellow Traders,

I have options trading experience in US but no experience in INDIA . I'm interested in trading options in INDIA as well. Could someone please provide pointers on where to check a listing of the option chains for various stocks? For US stocks one can check the stock options quotes on yahoo finance for the entire chain.
Is there something like this to track the india stock options? If not , anything that comes close?
Also , would you mind sharing the most reliable and convenient site to browse for the india stock market

Thanks
Skyleo

AW10

Skyleo.. Stock options trading is not mature enough in Indian mkt.. Except Reliance and maybe 1 or 2 other stocks have trading vol i.e OI of 5000+ contracts ..

Best is to stick to NIFTY options. You can find the Nifty option chain from nse site. i.e. NSEINDIA dot COM site. There is direct link for option chain..

Also keep it in mind that Indian options with near month expiry have good liquidity. Next months expiry have fair liquidity specially ATM strikes.. So most of your strategies that worked in US mkt will not work here. Most of the options trader stay away from <30 or <45 days expiry..but that is the world in Indian mkt.

Happy Trading

Thanks a lot AW. I'll be looking into this and will probably have more questions to understand the indian markets. Which broker would you recommend? Whats the expected commision for 1 option contract? In US a standard contract has 100sh , dont know if that's the case here too

Thanks much
Sky

AW10

Sky, you are in for surprise at every step.. Whole world says that US have strange rules, unique voltage level etc.. but in trading, it is other way, i think.
In US, one option contract = 100 shrs... but in India, this factor changes based on the stock. For nifty 1 contract = 50 units.. and for reliance 1 contract = 150..
Core idea is that the amount contrable by 1 contract is roughly 2 to 3 lacs.
So when stock of 2000 rs will have 150 as lot (= 2lac/2000), at stock of 100 will have 2000 as lot size.

all the best.. for your unlearning and new learning.

Hi Everybody,

I recently started trading in options.

I am holding Dec 5100 Put Option 3 Lots Bought @ 100.50 Premium.

Iam also holding Dec 5000 Put Option 8 Lots Bought @ 109.70 Premium.

I am very confused in taking any decision as market is range bound. I can hold them till expiry.

But can u advise me what would be right thing to do.

Thanks and Regards

Gokul

AW10

I can hold them till expiry.
Seems, you come from stock trading background and believe in buy and hold approach.. You must keep in mind that options have limited life.
Are you ready to loose complee 60k of your money which in mkt now ?
If not then, plz start rethinking on above stmt.

Decide your exit points when u would like to cut the loss.
Mkt has been rangebound since last 3 day. and there is strong support at 5k/4900 level. Yes mkt can crack thru them.. but we need to see it happening.

But if mkt starts going up, then ur positions will start getting deeper into red.. and will have less probablity of coming in profit.. so be practicle and define your loss exits.. That is only thing u can control. Giving u profit is at the mercy of mkt.. So control the controllables.

Happy Trading

Sky, you are in for surprise at every step.. Whole world says that US have strange rules, unique voltage level etc.. but in trading, it is other way, i think.
In US, one option contract = 100 shrs... but in India, this factor changes based on the stock. For nifty 1 contract = 50 units.. and for reliance 1 contract = 150..
Core idea is that the amount contrable by 1 contract is roughly 2 to 3 lacs.
So when stock of 2000 rs will have 150 as lot (= 2lac/2000), at stock of 100 will have 2000 as lot size.

all the best.. for your unlearning and new learning.
Hi.

The main thing is that in Indian market the option settlement (exercising etc) is adjusted in terms of cash, unlike in the US where I believe the settlement is done in terms of actual delivery/possession of stocks (except Index Options). Maybe that is why in India, the lot size is also decided in terms of cash, i.e. 2/3 lakhs.

Regards.

AW10 et al,
The information on Indian Stock Options market seems very limited . For some reason , the nseindia does not seem to work well from here . Would you guys please suggest something else for learning and research ?

Thanks a lot
Regards
Sky

AW10

Sky, unfortunately, I don't know of any other source for better options data then NSEINDIA. There are option analysis tool called option oracle that connects and gets data from NSE site. Plz chk samoasky dot com site for this..

Happy Trading

I also trade options in US. I am exporing data sources, Open Intrest, Greeks etc, before I will start trading options. I will try and communicate whatever I find.

Thanks

Vasudevan