Open Price Strategy

Hi Friends,

I would like to use this thread to explain open price strategy. This is purely an intraday strategy. Please fine tune this to ur needs nd trade accordingly.

This is the first time i am writing on public forum. So bear with my english and gramatical mistakes.

Open price strategy is purely based on the open price. This can be applied for both indices and stocks as well.

For explanation purpose, lets take nifty as example with 2 lots.
We will take the positions based on the nifty's price at 10:00. Lets say the open price(@9:55) is 4500. Place a long order at 4510(2 lots) and short order at 4490(2 lots). In the first 10 mins if both the orders gets executed, we shall place the orders again. If not one of the orders will be executed and we will ride the trend. Now suppose 4510 long got triggered and nifty moves up in the same direction and reached 4530. Book one lot at 4530 and place a stop loss order at open price for 2 lots. If nifty does not hit open price again by the EOD, we will ride the trend. In case if the trend changes and goes below open price, my stop loss will be triggered and now we are short on nifty with one lot. Again place a stop loss with 15 pts at 4515. Now hold your positions till 3:25 and clear ur positions.

U might be wondering on why i said to hold on to your positions till 3:25 with out trailing stoploss(I always keep stop loss at open price only). Its up to you to trail ur stoploss based on ur own analysis. Some times i use EMA crossover between 3D & 21D on 5mins chart to exit.

The simple funda is that we stay in the direction of trend from its open price. We will make big money if the index or stock moves by 2-3% in either way.

THIS STRATEGY WILL NOT WORK ON DAYS LIKE DOJI, WHICH IS AROUND 10-15% OF THE TOTAL DAYS. Even on such days we can manage our trades in no loss/no profit zone by trailing the stoploss.

Rules:-
1) Always place double the quantity for stoploss order at open price. By doing this u will clear ur holdings and take positions again.
2) Based on this strategy i take positions only till 2:00. Even if the prices goes above or below open price after 2P.M, i donot trade.
3) For the first one hour of the trade keep a stoploss of 10pts from open price. Later if the price again touchs the open price, use a stoploss of 15 pts.
4) 10pts is taken as the initial breakout range which is .25% of 4000(can be adjusted with the live experience). If nifty is at 2500, then the initial range would be 5-6 pts.
5) If the price move more than .25% in the first 5 mins before we could place an order, then we wait for the price to come back to out range.
6) On gap up/down of more than 1% days, its advisable to trade in stocks rather than nifty.

Please provide ur comments and feedbacks.

Thanks,
Siri

Last edited:
I have attached the chart with explanation based on 19/08/2009 charts.

1) open price=4458

2) So place a long order at 4468 & short order at 4448.

3) Long got executed at 10:05. Change the short order to stoploss order with double the quantity.

4) Stoploss got executed at 10:45 @4448.

5) Holding 2lots short at 4448. Book one lot at 4428 and move stoploss to entry price.

6) EMA5 gave bearish signal by corssing EMA21 at 1:30. So exit short at 4388.

Profit/loss= -2*(4468-4448)+(4448-4428)+(4448-4388)=40pts

Regards,
Siri

Attachments

nareshch

For explanation purpose, lets take nifty as example with 2 lots.
We will take the positions based on the nifty's price at 10:00. Lets say the open price(@9:55) is 4500. Place a long order at 4510(2 lots) and short order at 4490(2 lots).
Hi Siri ,

What if Nifty opened at 4500 and at 10AM the price is 4515 and never come back to 4510 ?

Naresh

AW10

Siri, Have u looked at "Toby's opening range breakout .." thread here.
I follow Toby Crabel's system but not for day trading. He has given a mothod to calculate STRETCH for each day. Stretch is a number takes into consideration from previous few days of price action, volatility, bull/bear force etc.

Based on that, entry for long /short is placed exactly like what u have mentioned.
You have used a number = 10. (don't know if you have reason behind using 10, or you have found it working well) whereas Strech has more concrete reasons behind that number. Stretch for tomorrow is 18 point roughly.

In my view points 10 points, when nifty was at 2500 is different from 10 points when it is 4500. Stretch calculation will adjust itself but not sure how will u change 10 to 8.

Happy Trading

Hi Siri ,

What if Nifty opened at 4500 and at 10AM the price is 4515 and never come back to 4510 ?

Naresh
I always tried to catch the trend with .25% of the price value. That is the reason i chose 10pts.. As you said, if it gets past 4515 i will wait till price comes in that range..
In case if nifty made highs of more than one persent from the opening price, i do not trade for that day with this strategy.(These are just my own rules).

Regards,
Siri

Siri, Have u looked at "Toby's opening range breakout .." thread here.
I follow Toby Crabel's system but not for day trading. He has given a mothod to calculate STRETCH for each day. Stretch is a number takes into consideration from previous few days of price action, volatility, bull/bear force etc.

Based on that, entry for long /short is placed exactly like what u have mentioned.
You have used a number = 10. (don't know if you have reason behind using 10, or you have found it working well) whereas Strech has more concrete reasons behind that number. Stretch for tomorrow is 18 point roughly.

In my view points 10 points, when nifty was at 2500 is different from 10 points when it is 4500. Stretch calculation will adjust itself but not sure how will u change 10 to 8.

Happy Trading
Hi AW10,

Thanks for the information. I went through the post and found it usefull. I will try to implement it and come up with necessary changes.

The reason i choose 10 is because of the nifty's current price. I want to try and catch the trend with in 0.25% range. For 4000-5000 range i hav taken 0.25% of 4000 which is 10 pts. Now suppose if the nifty in the range of 2000-3000, then i trade with the breakout of 0.25% of 2000 which is 5 pts.

I am very much new to TA and this strategy is purely based on my observation & understanding on the market for the past 4months.

Regards,
Siri

Please see the below chart for the possible trades in yesterdays session

1) open price=4466

2) So place a long order at 4476 & short order at 4456.

3) Long got executed at 10:10. Change the short order to stoploss order with double the quantity.

4) Stoploss got executed at 1:40 @4456.

5) Holding 2lots short at 4456. keeping 15pts as stoploss.

6) Again SL got hit at 2:00 @4471 (No trades will be done after 2 based on this strategy. So closed all the trades for the day)

Profit/loss= 2*(4456-4476)+2*(4456-4471)=-70pts

Regards,
Siri

Attachments

AW10

Siri, Also chk out the thread on camarilla pivot point (specially by Rajendrani.)
That also uses the similar concept.. of drawing two lines above/below the opening price of today and using those lines as reference.

Do focus on putting trailing stoploss so that u don't endup taking only stoploss hits.
Cause even on rangebound days (which are atleast 30 to 40% of times), this reference based entry will run in profit for some time.. before reversing and hitting the Stops.

all the best.
Happy Trading

Siri, Also chk out the thread on camarilla pivot point (specially by Rajendrani.)
That also uses the similar concept.. of drawing two lines above/below the opening price of today and using those lines as reference.

Do focus on putting trailing stoploss so that u don't endup taking only stoploss hits.
Cause even on rangebound days (which are atleast 30 to 40% of times), this reference based entry will run in profit for some time.. before reversing and hitting the Stops.

all the best.
Happy Trading
Once again thanks for informing about very useful thread.

I do trail my stoplosses. Trading is not my full time job, i work for an IT company and most of the times i will not be able to watch the market continuosly. That is the reason why i hold my positions till 3:25 after moving the SL to buy price.

Initially i traded based on pivot points. But as i told u, i cant watch the market continuosly and we are not sure when this the price will reach to pivot in intraday. This prompted me to take open price an test it. I found good and hence put into practice.

Regards,
Siri