nial fuller 150 & 365 EMA

DSM

O.k I checked up regards this strategy, and here's what I gather. Time frame is 1 hour. So, its pretty much difficult to plot 180 and 365 EMA on a standard charting platform - I use TradeTiger. However, I did try to do some 'jugaad' to understand what the screen would look like. Here's the shortcut.

Trading hours = 8 (approx)
EMA 365 and 150 are around 45 and 18 EMA respectively. (Have used SMA)
Now have tried to apply the logic of EMA's (as it makes sense to me) -
If the 18 EMA < 45 EMA, short every pullback.
If 18 EMA > 45, its buy only.

There are a very few trades triggered, and some trades can be held on for months together. The best entries are when both 18 and 45 EMA's and price are close together.

If somebody had an AFL that could find the validity of this setup it would be great, but on the face of it, looks very promising. Screenshot of recent chart attached.

Here's the link for the trade explained (on an hourly chart)

http://www.learntotradethemarket.co...-after-1-hour-pin-usdjpy-update-7th-june-2013

O.k I checked up regards this strategy, and here's what I gather. Time frame is 1 hour. So, its pretty much difficult to plot 180 and 365 EMA on a standard charting platform - I use TradeTiger. However, I did try to do some 'jugaad' to understand what the screen would look like. Here's the shortcut.

Trading hours = 8 (approx)
EMA 365 and 150 are around 45 and 18 EMA respectively. (Have used SMA)
Now have tried to apply the logic of EMA's (as it makes sense to me) -
If the 18 EMA < 45 EMA, short every pullback.
If 18 EMA > 45, its buy only.

There are a very few trades triggered, and some trades can be held on for months together. The best entries are when both 18 and 45 EMA's and price are close together.

If somebody had an AFL that could find the validity of this setup it would be great, but on the face of it, looks very promising. Screenshot of recent chart attached.

Here's the link for the trade explained (on an hourly chart)

http://www.learntotradethemarket.co...-after-1-hour-pin-usdjpy-update-7th-june-2013
Thanks Sir :)

amitrandive

If you have enough data , this AFL may work

Code:
_SECTION_BEGIN("Price");
SetChartOptions(0,chartShowArrows|chartShowDates);
_N(Title = StrFormat("{{NAME}} - {{INTERVAL}} {{DATE}} Open %g, Hi %g, Lo %g, Close %g (%.1f%%) Vol " +WriteVal( V, 1.0 ) +" {{VALUES}}", O, H, L, C, SelectedValue( ROC( C, 1 )) ));
Plot( C, "Close", ParamColor("Color", colorDefault ), styleNoTitle | ParamStyle("Style") | GetPriceStyle() ); 
_SECTION_END();

_SECTION_BEGIN("EMA");
P = ParamField("Price field",-1);
Periods = Param("Periods", 15, 2, 5000, 1 );
Plot( EMA( P, Periods ), _DEFAULT_NAME(), ParamColor( "Color", colorCycle ), ParamStyle("Style", styleLine | styleNoLabel ) | styleNoRescale ); 
_SECTION_END();

_SECTION_BEGIN("Mid EMA");
P = ParamField("Price field",-1);
Periods = Param("Periods", 45, 2, 5000, 1 );
Plot( EMA( P, Periods ), _DEFAULT_NAME(), ParamColor( "Color", colorCycle ), ParamStyle("Style", styleLine | styleNoLabel ) | styleNoRescale ); 
_SECTION_END();
But please remember that NO EMA Crossover is a Magical strategy in Trading

Last edited:

rkkarnani

8 Hours seems to be wrong ! We have 6 hours and 15 minutes trading. (9:15 to 3:30) On an hourly chart, we may get max 7 candles intraday ! Maybe you would like to recalculate the EMA days for EOD charts !

DSM

Good observation Sir! Basis 6 Hours, the MA's are 60&25. But this should not make a difference, as I posted in response to the query, (and also pointed out by Amit) there are no 'magical' or 'holy grail grail' settings for MA's. The good ratios to use is 2.5:1 or 3:1 (so as to avoid whipsaws) So 45/18 and 60/25 are 2.5:1 and 2.4:1 respectively, and should not matter much..... in my view. Somebody with AFL can test it out. Thanks for pointing it out though.

8 Hours seems to be wrong ! We have 6 hours and 15 minutes trading. (9:15 to 3:30) On an hourly chart, we may get max 7 candles intraday ! Maybe you would like to recalculate the EMA days for EOD charts !