My Pair Trading Journal

thks ullastp for the info!

actually i am surprised, how they are managing it with these kind of discounts! ru sure these are margin related discounts OR any other kind of discounts? can u give a practical example for that!

though s&p500 & djia & nasdaq are closely related, even a 1% deviation in their pair trading (which is common nowadays) can play havoc on shortfalls! forget the crudeoil & natgas pair which can wildly swing on inventories announcement day! why to get into sumthing when its is getting automatically squared up to only see the trade moving in ur direction!

Hi Malgohft,

Actually INTERACTIVE BROKERS (IB) in US market giving a huge discount for pairs trading and that is not for all pairs. For index futures they are giving thats for Dow jones Vs Nasdaq, S&P 500 Vs Nasdaq and also for Crude Oil Vs Natural Gas, Crude Oil Vs Heating Oil etc.
And so many other brokers in US also implemented the same.

I think Indian regulators are very tough on such discounts and thats why no brokers giving discounts. One can say thats why Indian Financial System is stronger even when the sub-prime crisis/recession occurred in 2008 than other countries.
But one can think logically, in case of index futures one single index wont collapse in a single day, all other index also follow it, if its in the same market/country. Likewise WPI Crude Oil, Natural Gas and Heating Oil are all coming from a single raw material. Thats why they are giving discount and they also cut our positions automatically if one is running shortage of capital in extreme cases.

Recently Interactive Brokers started its operation in India, but so far they are not giving any discounts in Indian market. That may be becoz of strong regulations from Excange and SEBI.

thks ullastp for the info!

actually i am surprised, how they are managing it with these kind of discounts! ru sure these are margin related discounts OR any other kind of discounts? can u give a practical example for that!

though s&p500 & djia & nasdaq are closely related, even a 1% deviation in their pair trading (which is common nowadays) can play havoc on shortfalls! forget the crudeoil & natgas pair which can wildly swing on inventories announcement day! why to get into sumthing when its is getting automatically squared up to only see the trade moving in ur direction!
Hi Malgohft,

Its true. I have around 3 years of experience in US market for Pairs Trading in Index Futures, but not now. Now Im here in Indian market and unable to implement the same to NIFTY FUT and SENSEX FUT because of the high correlation. As you people know if the scrips are highly correlated we wont get any divergence to enter the trade. So we have to go for other scrips like stock futures in Indian market.

But in US Markets as you know ,
Dow Jones: An index with strong & financially sound 30 stocks
S&P 500: Top 500 stocks weighted according to mkt cap.
Nasdaq 100: Technology stocks only
ES- S&P 500 Index Future
NQ- Nasdaq 100 Index Future

Here 1% or above movement is due to there sector weightage and for short term trading/investment we welcome such spread. Both in S&P 500 and Nasdaq 100, APPLE share is number 1 weightage and other stocks like GOOGLE, MICROSOFT etc. are there in top 10 in both indexes. So the divergence wont go far. It needs around 4% movement against/opposite to cut our positions automatically. And we usually average our positions when such swings (1% movement) occur.

Below is one live example:

BOT 10 ES MAR13 FUT @ 1504.50 (10*50*1504.50= 752250.00) (ES lot size = 50)
SOLD 14 NQ MAR13 FUT @ 2744.25 (14*20*2744.25= 768390.00) (NQ lot size = 20)
For the above Pair they charging a margin of 26,250.00 (actual investment: 1,520,640.00)
And this margin is in AFTER MARKET HOURS and @ market hours it again comes down around 20,000.00 (all prices above are in dollars)

In the case of Crude Oil, you are right when Inventory news is there some times the spread went more than 5% in my experience, but still they giving margin discount. (Checked it in Yesterday US Market time)

One reason may be the account used was a proprietary account with Huge Capital.

that's y i thought there will be some brokers in Indian market wil give the same....anyway leave it, i think so far no broker here giving any discounts.

For prop trading with bigger capital can inquire with NSE, they offers a special type of membership call 'Alpha' with 50 account codes only for propitiatory & family trading.
In that case of direct membership with NSE only SPAN margins are blocked.

Cheers

mangup

its a v simple, basic s/w! nt up2 d mark!

it has bollinger band on the ratio of the pairs.
GO SHORT WHEN IT TOUCHES UPPER BAND!
GOL LONG WHEN IT TOUCHES LOWER BAND!
Hi malgohft,
How? Can u pl explain with some more details?