My Journey In Technical Analysis

XRay

wanted to know how the tax computation is done for an SIP monthly investment in a mutual fund

Thanks
Though the question is addressed to XRay ,I take the liberty to reply as I book capital gains in mutual fund units every year.

Every monthly investment is considered as separate investment and when it is redeemed,the holding period for each instalment considered separately for calculating short term/ long term capital gains.The capital gains calculation is done by the Mutual Fund and investors can download the capital gains statement.
But this statement comes after we redeem the units,but before redumption we have to monitor the holding period ourselves manually.

Smart_trade

Though the question is addressed to XRay ,I take the liberty to reply as I book capital gains in mutual fund units every year.

Every monthly investment is considered as separate investment and when it is redeemed,the holding period for each instalment considered separately for calculating short term/ long term capital gains.The capital gains calculation is done by the Mutual Fund and investors can download the capital gains statement.
But this statement comes after we redeem the units,but before redumption we have to monitor the holding period ourselves manually.

Smart_trade
Thanks for the info STda. Just to clear my grey areas.. say I have bought 2000 units during a span of 20 months on a monthly SIP basis. Now If I want to sell some units without attracting ST capital gains, do I need to zero in on that quantity of units that have been purchased 12 months prior to the proposed date of selling?

Thanks for the info STda. Just to clear my grey areas.. say I have bought 2000 units during a span of 20 months on a monthly SIP basis. Now If I want to sell some units without attracting ST capital gains, do I need to zero in on that quantity of units that have been purchased 12 months prior to the proposed date of selling?
Yes correct,so taking an example,say you want to sell some units on 30 th July 2018 from the SIP. You have to calculate how many units you held as on 29th July 2017 or 1 year holding period.These many units will give Long Term Capital Gains.Units purchased in SIP after 29 July 2017 will not have 1 year holding period and they will give short term capital gains if redeemed on 30 th July 2018.

Here I am considering the investment in equity oriented Fund .If it is a debt oriented fund or debt oriented balanced fund or liquid Fund ,bond fund then the holding period for long term capital gains is 3 years.

Hope the concept is clear from the above example.

Smart_trade

Last edited:

XRAY27

"There's great power in learning how to take a loss.

You learn from your mistakes.
You're at peace with yourself.
You can place a new trade objectively.
You don't worry about your loss snowballing.
You're one step closer to your next big winner.

You're in CONTROL." ---Rayner Teo

XRAY27

We all know many people struggle to see profit from trading and very few get success in trading also struggle with quantity scaling, they just trade single or 2 lots for many numbers of years, standard MM rule won't apply for FNO trading )( aka 1 or 2 % rule) ,Fixed ratio Money Management is the best solution and its based on concept of "delta" ( not option delta :p) The delta is the amount of profit that needs to be achieved before increasing one's position size. This concept was introduced by Ryan Jones in his book The Trading Game: Playing by the Numbers to Make Millions (1999)..

XRAY27

Trending phase is good for swing/positional,going is good in that segment :cool:intraday is moving no where in aug series:meh: