Multitask at your workplace by setting realistic goals

Multi-tasking is not everyone's forte. Yet at workplaces we are left with no other choice but to juggle between multiple activities. Experts say it is important to set realistic goals to multitask. ET talks to experts for a few tips:

Be efficient in juggling

SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Timebound) goals can help in multi-tasking. "A SMART plan helps you to remain focused and to be efficient in juggling. It allows you to evaluate when and how much attention is needed to complete a task and whether two tasks are compatible," says Ruchi Sinha, assistant professor of business, organisational behavior at ISB.

Know your priorities

Knowing the priorities, while multitasking, and scheduling the tasks helps in minimising errors and being more productive. "Even when you are multitasking you must know which tasks need more of your attention and which ones can be achieved with partial or limited attention. You must combine a filler task with a larger more complex task," says Sinha.

Don't procrastinate

As a manager's demands of multitasking increase, he/she must be mindful of procrastination. "If you have an agenda, plan early and address it as soon as possible," says Sudhir Dhar, senior VP & head, HR, Motilal Oswal Financial ServicesBSE 0.34 %. Agrees Sinha: "Finish those short phone calls when you are walking between meetings. Ask a colleague to join you for a cup of coffee and make it into a work meeting."

Define your limits

Multitasking has its advantages, but don't take on too much or set yourself unrealistic targets. "Don't say yes when you want to say no," says Dhar. "It's all very well to impress your bosses but don't end up becoming a victim of a burnout," he adds.

Practice makes perfect

"Some days you will feel you did good and on other days you might feel that your multitasking attempts were a disaster. You need to continue practicing till the juggling becomes natural and your skills of planning and utilising time become internal to you," says Sinha. Make it a routine to plan for every day and to consciously practice the art of multitasking.

This article taken from Economic Times : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ting-realistic-goals/articleshow/33754401.cms

Multi-tasking is not everyone's forte. Yet at workplaces we are left with no other choice but to juggle between multiple activities. Experts say it is important to set realistic goals to multitask. ET talks to experts for a few tips:

Be efficient in juggling

SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Timebound) goals can help in multi-tasking. "A SMART plan helps you to remain focused and to be efficient in juggling. It allows you to evaluate when and how much attention is needed to complete a task and whether two tasks are compatible," says Ruchi Sinha, assistant professor of business, organisational behavior at ISB.

Know your priorities

Knowing the priorities, while multitasking, and scheduling the tasks helps in minimising errors and being more productive. "Even when you are multitasking you must know which tasks need more of your attention and which ones can be achieved with partial or limited attention. You must combine a filler task with a larger more complex task," says Sinha.

Don't procrastinate

As a manager's demands of multitasking increase, he/she must be mindful of procrastination. "If you have an agenda, plan early and address it as soon as possible," says Sudhir Dhar, senior VP & head, HR, Motilal Oswal Financial ServicesBSE 0.34 %. Agrees Sinha: "Finish those short phone calls when you are walking between meetings. Ask a colleague to join you for a cup of coffee and make it into a work meeting."

Define your limits

Multitasking has its advantages, but don't take on too much or set yourself unrealistic targets. "Don't say yes when you want to say no," says Dhar. "It's all very well to impress your bosses but don't end up becoming a victim of a burnout," he adds.

Practice makes perfect

"Some days you will feel you did good and on other days you might feel that your multitasking attempts were a disaster. You need to continue practicing till the juggling becomes natural and your skills of planning and utilising time become internal to you," says Sinha. Make it a routine to plan for every day and to consciously practice the art of multitasking.

This article taken from Economic Times : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ting-realistic-goals/articleshow/33754401.cms
Hi ,

I have always thought of multitasking as it really works, but I'm always trying to break up my work by doing multitasking. Sometimes, a little bit of everything gets done, but it doesn't look like any real progress has been made. I need to do and finish one thing at a time.

Then, I started to search for some good time management applications to manage my routine schedules. I found many applications like Replicon, etc. Out of those apps, I've read some good feedback and suggestions about Replicon Suite.

How about this ( http://www.replicon.com/olp/online-time-recording-software.aspx ) application, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Development of Software Utilities 0