Life Changing Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitrandive

Dear All

I am starting a thread to post list of books , Books which I believe can change a person's life.

These books are mostly on motivation,self-improvement,etc.All the prerequisites for a successful trading career.

The excerpts/reviews are mostly from well known websites like amazon,flipkart,etc.

I want all members to contribute with their reviews and feedback.

Last edited:

amitrandive

Think and Grow Rich
by Napoleon Hill

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1612930298?ie=UTF8&tag=bebore-20&link_code=wql

A must for anyone wanting to improve their lives and their positive thinking. There have been more millionaires and indeed, billionaires, who have made their fortunes as a result of reading this success classic than any other book every printed. NAPOLEON HILLS's "Think and Grow Rich" is the authors most famous work.A true masterpiece with the fundamentals of the Success philosophy.

Hill's works examined the power of personal beliefs, and the role they play in personal success. "What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve" is one of Hill's hallmark expressions. How achievement actually occurs, and a formula for it that puts success in reach for the average person, were the focal points of Hill's books

manishchan

An amazing book that I think everyone should read. There is a saying "Beware what you wish For". I think this book is the apt example of how following your dreams get you to your destiny.

http://www.amazon.in/The-Alchemist-...&qid=1397058952&sr=8-1&keywords=the+alchemist

The protagonist of The Alchemist is a young Andalusian shepherd who lives in Spain. He begins his journey to Egypt when he is chased by his frequent dreams of a mysterious child who coaxes him to look for treasure buried at the base of the Egyptian pyramids. He comes across Melchizedek, the king of Salem during his journey to Egypt. Santiago is enlightened by him to the concept of a 'Personal Legend' or a quest that would help him realize the core and depth of the desires buried in his heart. He meets an aspiring alchemist and a beautiful young woman en route. He also meets an alchemist who accompanies him in his expedition to enlighten him with his profound wisdom and knowledge. Through this journey he discovers the truths regarding why the treasure evades him each time. The Alchemist is a journey of wisdom, self-discovery and philosophy and finding your own 'Personal Legend' against the comparatively invaluable material possessions. It was first published in the year 1988. This particular edition from publisher Harper Collins was published on 17th October, 2005 and is available in paperback.

umeshmandal

The Alchemist : Frankly, could not comprehend till end what the author was trying to say !

It is well written and yes "following your dream' theme is there but over all somehow I could not gather anything out of it ! :p

Not saying that its not worth reading, it wasnt for me but may be excellent for someone else ! :D

manishchan

The Alchemist : Frankly, could not comprehend till end what the author was trying to say !

It is well written and yes "following your dream' theme is there but over all somehow I could not gather anything out of it ! :p

Not saying that its not worth reading, it wasnt for me but may be excellent for someone else ! :D
hehe.. here is my take away from the book.

The boy Santiago, had a dream (of treasure) and he traveled far away just to follow it because he believed it in. There were lots of obstacles on the way but he had good time too. He learnt new things, he met new people and he was sure he is going to find what he came in the new land for. But at the end something strange happens (won't tell that for the sake of others who didn't read the book :D). Now, that ending says that we always get what we believe in and really wish for and all the things that happen along the journey are part of that success. The famous quote from the book is "if you really want something, the whole universe conspires for you to get it". So if we believe in our dream, follow our heart and enjoy the journey then destiny we wish for is guaranteed. :)

manishchan

Another one of my fav. If you think, you are unable to manage your time better. If you think 24 hours in a day is not enough to get your things done. This book teaches Step by Step how to get things done. :)

http://www.amazon.in/Eat-That-Frog-...&qid=1397061370&sr=8-1&keywords=eat+that+frog

About the Book

Eat That Frog is a self-help book. It consists of essays on time management and how to avoid procrastination. The book has a total of 21 chapters. Each chapter presents one technique that will help you utilise your time more effectively.

The book's title is based on a quote from Mark Twain: "Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day. " The technique that derives from this quote is to do the task that you avoid the most at the beginning of your day so that the rest of your day passes with ease. The author Brian Tracy, explains several more techniques that will have you using your time more efficiently. One such principle is known as the 80/20 rule, or the Pareto principle, which states that 20 percent of the time that you invest in a project will get you 80 percent of the results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.