Jio subscriptions - could be very significant already!

protrade

But I am finding otherwise. Their shops say numbers are not available. They say please go for mnp(so that other providers loose customers). How come they think that people will loose working number for non-dependable provider. Other providers numbers work at least. This is cheating method by Jio. Even after22 days, I am yet to get number SMS.
This is a totally different problem, and not at all connected to Jio. This is a systemic problem in India.

We have 10-digit mobile number, and first digit can only be 7, 8 or 9. That means only a total of 3 Billion numbers are possible in a best case scenario. And of this, several numbers are not "issued" because they clash with other numbers, or create other problems. If you look at it, only about 2 Billion numbers are there, in total.

We have 700+ million customers, plus, we have humongous amount of unsold Prepaid cards, where the numbers are already decided or fixed. I would estimate that every single store that sells Prepaid cards has at least 10-20 SIM cards minimum, and some have upwards of 100. And there are literally millions of these shops throughout India.

There are entire blocks of numbers that are blocked for some operators that don't have nearly as many customers.

And in Jio, we have a problem where almost every single customer of Jio is taking up additional number - not porting to Jio. So the numbers alloted to Jio run out very quickly - given the rate at which customers are migrating to Jio!

Unfortunately, Jio cannot solve this problem immediately. This is not a problem with Jio at all.

The only thing they can say, is to ask you to use MNP - that way number is retained. But as of now, you don't want to use MNP!

India will probably have to migrate to a 11 or 12 digit number very urgently, to meet Jio's requirements. And Jio will use this issue to force operators to allow MNP. Many people could shift secondary number to Jio.

With Jio's ambitious targets, they should have anticipated this. And they should have anticipated the amount of interconnect they need.

This smacks of lack of preparedness, certainly not years of preparation that they claim.
This is a totally different problem, and not at all connected to Jio. This is a systemic problem in India.

We have 10-digit mobile number, and first digit can only be 7, 8 or 9. That means only a total of 3 Billion numbers are possible in a best case scenario. And of this, several numbers are not "issued" because they clash with other numbers, or create other problems. If you look at it, only about 2 Billion numbers are there, in total.

We have 700+ million customers, plus, we have humongous amount of unsold Prepaid cards, where the numbers are already decided or fixed. I would estimate that every single store that sells Prepaid cards has at least 10-20 SIM cards minimum, and some have upwards of 100. And there are literally millions of these shops throughout India.

There are entire blocks of numbers that are blocked for some operators that don't have nearly as many customers.

And in Jio, we have a problem where almost every single customer of Jio is taking up additional number - not porting to Jio. So the numbers alloted to Jio run out very quickly - given the rate at which customers are migrating to Jio!

Unfortunately, Jio cannot solve this problem immediately. This is not a problem with Jio at all.

The only thing they can say, is to ask you to use MNP - that way number is retained. But as of now, you don't want to use MNP!

India will probably have to migrate to a 11 or 12 digit number very urgently, to meet Jio's requirements. And Jio will use this issue to force operators to allow MNP. Many people could shift secondary number to Jio.

lvgandhi

Sorry to differ with you. It is totally a problem of Jio.
System is not to be blamed. System is known before Jio started services. Hence, they should have known how many numbers they can have with in the existing system. Then accordingly should have given sims. No operator gives sim with out number as far as I know, as I also bought sims from other operators. Hence problem is with Jio. Still I would repeat how Jio expects that customers will change from reliable to unreliable provider.

deba72

System is not to be blamed. System is known before Jio started services. Hence, they should have known how many numbers they can have with in the existing system. Then accordingly should have given sims. No operator gives sim with out number as far as I know, as I also bought sims from other operators. Hence problem is with Jio.
Jio owners are not known in history to think or care about rules,systems and processes.. Rules are made,bent or modified for them always....So why should they bother this time also...

They are actually too busy in the social media war ! :)

The fact that there is no major cuts offered by the existing operators after Jio launch speaks volume about the way Jio's competitors are viewing the developments.. In fact , IMO, Jio is helping them indirectly to unclog their network...

protrade

System is not to be blamed. System is known before Jio started services. Hence, they should have known how many numbers they can have with in the existing system. Then accordingly should have given sims. No operator gives sim with out number as far as I know, as I also bought sims from other operators. Hence problem is with Jio. Still I would repeat how Jio expects that customers will change from reliable to unreliable provider.
The numbers they can have is largely a function of whether MNP is possible or not. Right now, MNP is not being allowed, and that's a violation of licensing conditions.

AirTel and other operators have no business deciding whether MNP to Jio makes sense or not. Customer may have additional SIMs which he is willing to "risk" on Jio, and quite frankly, many people have multiple SIM cards that are active, for variety of reasons.

You may be waiting for a number, and hence pissed off with Reliance Jio, but it is really AirTel and the other operators who are playing dirty. In every possible way.

But this is all cheap, short term stuff. Won't help them in long term. They don't know how to play the real game, so they are playing these side games. At some point, they will be forced to adhere to the guidelines, and they will tuck their tails between their legs and comply!

My understanding is that Reliance Jio is doing whatever it can, that is within its control, to ensure a good experience for its customers. For things that are not in its hands, they have to fight against the operators, and wait till the operators honor their obligations.

amitrandive

Just out of curiosity, are you an employee of Reliance family by any chance?:D
Just take my casual question in the right spirit.

Satyam was always discounted differently to all other IT companies . . .

Many Value Investment Proponents used to try to make a case by throwing up different ratios and numbers . . .

But Market as an entity knows (maybe not everything but) something and prices everything accordingly

So with markets priced beyond 20-23 historical PE, Reliance struggling to even go beyond a dozen . . .

There is something that market has priced in . . .

Anyway its not that RIL is the only game in town and we are forced to play at it . . .

So whoever wants to bet on it, can sure do so. . .

BTW it was a very v good game once upon a time . . .

Dhirubhai was a real wealth creator for many of us investors and
RIL came up such unique instruments which made good $$$ . . . (anyone remembers Tipple Option Convertible Debentures :D)
most of the at par issues by the family went on to be multibagers for investing public.

All these write ups on this thread do sound more and more like some RIL sponsored hand outs :lol:

Cheers :thumb:

Happy :)

How come Jio wasn't prepared for it ? As far as I know, interconnect is supposedly a bilateral agreement, not a birthright for any operator.
The numbers they can have is largely a function of whether MNP is possible or not. Right now, MNP is not being allowed, and that's a violation of licensing conditions.

AirTel and other operators have no business deciding whether MNP to Jio makes sense or not. Customer may have additional SIMs which he is willing to "risk" on Jio, and quite frankly, many people have multiple SIM cards that are active, for variety of reasons.

You may be waiting for a number, and hence pissed off with Reliance Jio, but it is really AirTel and the other operators who are playing dirty. In every possible way.

But this is all cheap, short term stuff. Won't help them in long term. They don't know how to play the real game, so they are playing these side games. At some point, they will be forced to adhere to the guidelines, and they will tuck their tails between their legs and comply!

My understanding is that Reliance Jio is doing whatever it can, that is within its control, to ensure a good experience for its customers. For things that are not in its hands, they have to fight against the operators, and wait till the operators honor their obligations.

protrade

Not at all connected to anyone in Reliance in any way shape or form. I actually checked my Linked In, and even Friends of Friends are not working for Reliance :)!

Of course, I have shares of Reliance Industries - that I think you should know more than clearly by now!

This just fits in perfectly with my theme of companies that are undervalued, with huge potential, and with specific triggers that are being ignored by market or not known to the market!