How to start day trading - for beginner.

Dear members,

Can anyone explain how to start day trading for the beginners ? As you may aware I am new to this field but I want to know more and also want to explore it in short time. I believed that I have quality of good day trader, but I just want to know where to start and master the skills requied.

Let me tell you something in more about what exactly I am after.

1. What do I need for day trading ? tools, investments and research, strategies, etc.
2. How do I start with minimum risk?
3. How to pick good shares from NIFTY 50? Is it wise to invest in one share or one sector or in multiple shares and multiple sectors?
4. How to calculate expectancy risk reward for total investment and keep track of it?
5. What are the tools/format/discipline to do paper trading initially to be master day trader?

I hope I will guide through the process and believe that anyone can be master day trader.

Your comments are valuable to me.

Dear members,

Can anyone explain how to start day trading for the beginners ? As you may aware I am new to this field but I want to know more and also want to explore it in short time. I believed that I have quality of good day trader, but I just want to know where to start and master the skills requied.

1. What do I need for day trading ? tools, investments and research, strategies, etc.
3. How to pick good shares from NIFTY 50? Is it wise to invest in one share or one sector or in multiple shares and multiple sectors?
4. How to calculate expectancy risk reward for total investment and keep track of it?
5. What are the tools/format/discipline to do paper trading initially to be master day trader?

I hope I will guide through the process and believe that anyone can be master day trader.

starting with day trading is a beginners mistake. First learn to trade simple trends on daily's. Once your are consistent , ONLY then switch to day trading.

but remember day trading is difficult , if you are a beginner. Don't say i didn't warn you.

Good luck!!

SavantGarde

Hi Ravi,

Aren't you the Admin of another forum....!!!

SG

Dear members,

hc9001

Dear Ravi Lodhiya,
Your 5 question might be the content of a whole Day Trading Guide Book! ;)So obviously you are experienced. Answering all your qu would require a whole new thread.
If you really d'not have much experience as a Day Trader , little advice for you:-

1. 'anyone can be master day trader' is completely wrong assumption bcoz anyone can not be successful in any profession. Just like any one cannot be an Artist, Doctor, Engineer, Businessman, Player etc bcoz, it requires different abilities in brain to succeed in different profession.
Trading is all about Speculation with money management & risk management using fundamental & technical analysis, so it is a very difficult profession. Also trading is more difficult bcoz, Stock Market Trading (Specially Day Trading) is a Zero sum game. Here Success:Failure ratio is 1:9 pretty bad comparing to other business(2:8 almost).
Day Trading is more risky than any other form of tradings(Swing Trading/Short Term Trading) bcoz there are more noise in short time span(fast changes in direction). For example more entry & exit in smaller time frame charts (1min/2min/5min/10min used for Day Trading) than longer time frame charts(30min, hr, day, week used for swing trading/short term). For quicker entry exit(multiple trades in day trading) requires quick changes in money management, risk management, averaging strategy according to market trend. Stress & excitement(greed & fear) also very high for day trading. Definitely not anyone can be master day trader only a few. But the good thing is anyone can try to find out.

2. At first you can try positional trading with 3 lot Mini nifty futures(Answer of qu2). Mini Nifty bcoz it is just mirror of Nifty(Nifty is the answer of your qu.3). 3 lots is because u can average your wrong trade & get out break even or minimum loss, don't buy/sell 3 lot at once. U can start with 80K trading capital for trading 60units(3unit mini nifty max).

3. Whenever u used to positional trading, look for short time span profit(try to reduce the time of ur positional trades slowly with small time frame charts(said above).

4. Tools for Trading:-
Daily Charts from
http://www.icharts.in/charts.html
Live 2min/5min/30min Charts from
http://www.google.com/finance?q=NSE:NIFTY
[Later You can use Amibroker with free import of EOD by GetbhavCopy, can manually edit Nifty Futures Data also]
Most imp indicators are EMA/MA, Stoch, MACD & RSI enough for tech analysis.
Pivot Table & Fibonacci Retracement also useful tools.
Some imp MA: 20-50-100-200, EMA: 5,8,13,21,40,89,117,233,400 etc.
Stoch (5,3), (15,3), (14,5).
MACD(12,26,9),(6,13,5)
Change the numbers and experiment to find suitable strategy according to your mind (There are many). :)

Please Note: A strategy shared with everyone would no longer be a profitable strategy in a Stock Market which is a zero sum game, all clever traders know that, bcoz all ppl can not profit same time. So the scope is limited here.
Hope, you will find the right strategy with your hard work.

Tech analysis is very difficult as Same setup (with candle-ema-indicators) gives different indications when applied to different time frames.
For example short term 2min/5min chart may be bullish while 30min or daily chart may be bearish.
Synchronizing different time frames with mind is very important, unfortunately there is no rules. It comes with real life experience(in hours of live market).

5. It seems you are confident enough to establish as day trader. My advices as a day trader:-
increase your live market watching time, paper trade as a real trade(add or subtract Mtm loss instantly in papers too from fixed capital). All markets are same whether its NSE/FTSE/DOW.
Whenever possible paper trade with Index FTSE/DOW after market. I have lively paper trade another 2 markets live for full 3yrs when I was a beginner. You can learn 3 times faster by doing same.
If u interested use following link too whenever possible,
http://www.google.com/finance?q=INDEXFTSE:UKX
http://www.google.com/finance?q=INDEXDJX:.DJI

Whenever u successfully trade with NSE INDEX & paper trade another two with same tech system it'll give you tremendous confidence. Slowly shift Mini Nifty to Nifty(Capital & Risk Management would be proportionate according to units). Nifty is one of best Day Trading Instruments too bcoz it is diversified & liquid has less volatility too.

Best Wishes to you and all future day trader here in this nice forum. :thumb:
Happy Trading.:clapping:

Last edited:
Dear hc9001,

Thank you very much for answering all my questions. I am glad to know that I am on a right path. I am agreed to your point that not anyone can be master day trader. Yes I am happy to know about your experience as well as your opinions are really valuable to me.

My intention was very clear. I was after simplifying jargon of day trading. Yes It will required special skill sets and you have provided sufficient information about it. I am thankful of you. The knowledge and experience are indeed precious than money.

I am also thankful for your advise on Technical analysis's time frame, that was really hard for me to choose the right one and synchronizing with mindset.

Now as per your advise I will start focusing on positional trading, mini nifty and short time frames. It is really a good advise to start trading for a novice like me with minimizing risk. :)

Now about indicators you mentions they all are beyond my scope at the moment.

I know maths well but I don't know how they all are evaluated at same time and
how they will helpful to understand what is exact position of the current script. Again my limitation. But I am curious to know about it. Please if you can suggest any reading on that I will follow it.

I hope I will get good advise on it.

Once again thank you for everything. And Happy Trading to you as well.

Regards,

RL

hc9001

Sample of Free Trading Setup

Dear Ravi Lodhiya,
I think you have similar background like me (U r a s/w developer & may be mathematician too :)), the attached picture would be sufficient to understand it more precisely.
Just log in with your gmail account, paste link below
http://www.google.com/finance?q=NSE:NIFTY
Settings-> Chart Type: Candlestick, Change Parameters: Ema 5,13,20(21),40.
Stoch (15,3), MACD (12,26,9)
When observing 30m chart ema cross over, see broader trend by Stoch & MACD on daily; Stoch on Weekly.
Note for Position with Stoch Cut 20-80 best Range. Below 20 it is oversold(may remain so during Strong Down), above 80 it is overbought(may remain so during Strong UP).
Observe Chart in 30m, DAY/WK. Later see smaller time frame 2min/5min to understand more noise (whipsaw).
Best Wishes.

http://imageshack.us/f/690/sampletradesetup.png/

Last edited:
Dear HC9001,

Thank you for the information they are indeed precise. I am learning all this bit by bit. I am sure that this will helpful to others as well.

Regards,

Ravi Lodhiya