How Nifty profit/loss is calculated ?

Dear All,
I am new to this forum. I am trying to learn and frankly speaking learnt a lot about equities. But still confused about some aspects of nifty.
I want to know how profit is calculated in nifty. For a better understanding, suppose the below the scenario arrrives, how much can i gain or loose?

Scenario (say today-27-05-2009):
Prev Day's High - 4256.05
Prev Day's Low - 4092.25

Suppose, I buy 1 lot of nifty at 4150.00 and sell it at 4200.00. There is a difference of 50 points. How will I calculate my profit ?

Thanks in advance for taking your time out & replying.

Regards
Joy

krgramesh

Hi Joy

the nifty future lot size is 50 shares and mininifty is 20 shares, you just multiply the profit/loss points with this on everyday.

cool.

K R Ramesh

Dear All,
I am new to this forum. I am trying to learn and frankly speaking learnt a lot about equities. But still confused about some aspects of nifty.
I want to know how profit is calculated in nifty. For a better understanding, suppose the below the scenario arrrives, how much can i gain or loose?

Scenario (say today-27-05-2009):
Prev Day's High - 4256.05
Prev Day's Low - 4092.25

Suppose, I buy 1 lot of nifty at 4150.00 and sell it at 4200.00. There is a difference of 50 points. How will I calculate my profit ?

Thanks in advance for taking your time out & replying.

Regards
Joy

Thanks Mr. Ramesh,

You mean to say that if I gain 50 points that means in terms of money it will be 50 X 50 = Rs. 2500/-.

Am I right, Pls clarify.

Thanks in advance.

Joy

AW10

Multiply by number of shares in the lot. If you are trading Nifty future, then lot size is 50 so multiply the diff between buy and sell price by 50.
If you are trading thru Minifity then lot size is 20, so multiply by 20.

You can't trade NIFTY Index directly. It has to be thru futures or Mini.

Happy Trading

Thanks AW10,
Also, I want to know

1) What is present price nifty (approx.) & mini-nifty (approx.)?
2) What is margin one has to keep for trading nifty?
3) What is underlying ?

Thanks in advance.

Joy

AW10

Joy,
Plz go thru NSE site, and go down to Home > F&O > Products section.
There you will find various futures and Mini futures contract details.

That will answer many of other forthcoming questions from you.

To clear your concept of F&O, you can download the appropriate study material from NSE Site
Home > NCFM > Curriculum & Study Material section. That should clarify most of your questions.

Sorry for not replying to your questions directly but giving you right links (I don't belive in "teach a man to Fish...." )

Happy Trading.

Thanks Aw10,
I really appreciate your feelings. I also believe in not following anything unless and until I have full confidense in the system. Thank you once again, I will definitely go through your recommendations. Just a simple query, being a senior what is the basic margin you have to keep for trading futures.

Regards
Joy

FSL has lot size of 9500 and is currently priced at 33.10 .I want to know how money should i have to buy 1 lot of it.
By Calculations it amounts to 9500*33.10*0.15 = 47165.5 Rs which is too much.Is it correct? .Also if have say 10 k in the bank account and i want to buy nifty futures for intraday which blocks about 30k ,does the broker give exposure on the amount i have?

Last edited: