How does a stop loss trigger work?

a_anoop1 and leo_3455, Please read through all the posting in this thread carefully and you will find that your questions have already been answered.

Dear All,

I am a little confused too. Now, what I did today is that..

I had sold 40 JPAssociates @ 209.50.

Now, I wanted to buy it at 206.20 but didn't want to pay more than 208.50.

What i did, I made a stoploss trade with..

206.20 as limit price and 208.50 as trigger price.

It was bought immediately @ 207.40, which is frustating:mad: for me as my profit got vain as the prices did come down to 206.20 after sometime!

Why did it happen.

Regards
Saurav

If you want to buy at 206.20, and, the current price is higher than that, then you should place your order as limit order at 206.20.
When you want to buy it when it crossses (from lower) a particular price, (Say for example, you want to buy if it crosses Rs.211) then you should place a stoploss order with trigger price at Rs.211, and, a limit price slightly higher than that. In this case your order will get into the system the moment a trade happens at Rs.211 or higher.

Ok some questions . From ICICI direct . (bcos I dont have time to work on others) .

1 .Suppose I buy(buy order) 1 lot Nifty futures , say at 5000 . The order goes through and now we can see this under open positions right ? (F & O - OPEN POSITIONS) .

2.Now to put stop loss order for the above , should we square off and give details ? or should we put a new sell order for the same quantity (as the earlier buy order) with limit and stop loss trigger ?

will the sell order close out the buy that I had before ? or will ICICI system treat this as second order with the first buy order still active ?

Clarifications much appreciated .

EDIT : Got it working :) .

Here is how you put the stoploss order , when you place the sqare off order ,thats the stoploss order . Put the limit and stoploss trigger prices and it will be executed when the stoploss is reached .

Last edited:
Dear friends can any body tell me how to give a stop loss market order.
for eg. i bought 100 shares of xyz compay at 500
next day i expect a great gap down opening because of some bad news.
now what order should i place before the opening of the market , so that i can sell them at the opening market price.i am asking this question because i do not know what should be given as trigger price

ARMHM

Dear friends can any body tell me how to give a stop loss market order.
for eg. i bought 100 shares of xyz compay at 500
next day i expect a great gap down opening because of some bad news.
now what order should i place before the opening of the market , so that i can sell them at the opening market price.i am asking this question because i do not know what should be given as trigger price
That is something impossible. You can not place a stoploss sell order of your liking if the stock opens with a gap down.

ARMHM

I think there are many replies to your question in another thread I have just seen. If you are new to trading then it will take a little while to understand the jargon. Be patient and you will surely come to terms with the market. Wish you all the best.

I think there are many replies to your question in another thread I have just seen. If you are new to trading then it will take a little while to understand the jargon. Be patient and you will surely come to terms with the market. Wish you all the best.
Thank u.pls give me links to the threads that you have seen.