General Trading Chat

vivektrader

In persuit of financial independence.
I will be looking to buy RIL,Bajaj Finance ,HDFC Bank,HDFC,Kotak Bank...Biocon,
DMart,But only if the market opens with a big gap which looks difficult to me as of now.

ST
Sir, post no.68790, please enlighten.

Sir,
I have two sets of data on daily, one based on last traded price close and the other based on post-market adjusted close. Which one should be used for counts? Would it be better if LTP data be used for stocks and adjusted data for indices?
Closing price is strictly the price at which the last trade takes place, The average is done by exchanges to remove any distortion due to last minute spike in the price.

I dont know how the foreign exchanges arrive at the closing price. DeMark research is based on foreign markets data and he did it on closing price as given by the exchange. When I was monitoring nifty fut on daily I used to write the last traded price of every day in a excel sheet to decide counts. But with so many indices and stocks it is not possible and we have to rely on the closing price given by exchanges....

So there could be few errors and that is why near its 11/12/13 bars we have to be careful and observe the price action....because the 12th bar as per our counting may be actually 13 th bar of move end......but this problem is taken care of largely by waiting for a bar to give upclose in case of buy and downclose in case of sell signal...but few errors could creep in. So we have to consider these levels as areas of reversal rather than exact point of reversal ( which may be off by a day or so because of these errors ) ...that is the best I could think of to handle this situation......

But if I have the data of actual last traded trade price, I would rely on it provided that price is not a spike price.But if you keep consistancy in whichever price you follow, it will even out eventually I guess.

Smart_trade

vivektrader

In persuit of financial independence.
Closing price is strictly the price at which the last trade takes place, The average is done by exchanges to remove any distortion due to last minute spike in the price.

I dont know how the foreign exchanges arrive at the closing price. DeMark research is based on foreign markets data and he did it on closing price as given by the exchange. When I was monitoring nifty fut on daily I used to write the last traded price of every day in a excel sheet to decide counts. But with so many indices and stocks it is not possible and we have to rely on the closing price given by exchanges....

So there could be few errors and that is why near its 11/12/13 bars we have to be careful and observe the price action....because the 12th bar as per our counting may be actually 13 th bar of move end......but this problem is taken care of largely by waiting for a bar to give upclose in case of buy and downclose in case of sell signal...but few errors could creep in. So we have to consider these levels as areas of reversal rather than exact point of reversal ( which may be off by a day or so because of these errors ) ...that is the best I could think of to handle this situation......

But if I have the data of actual last traded trade price, I would rely on it provided that price is not a spike price.But if you keep consistancy in whichever price you follow, it will even out eventually I guess.

Smart_trade
Sir,
I have been pretty disturbed last 3-4 days due to this data problem. The problem appeared when I stumbled upon a utility which a member of TJ posted in this thread, it's called quandl that downloads EOD on daily based on actual LTP,
https://www.stockmaniacs.net/quandl-download-free-amibroker-end-of-day-data/#comment-3701
I checked innumerable charts to verify that indeed it was correctly giving LTP EOD daily bars. Based on this data I reviewed 25-30 of my actual trades, in some of losing trades, even the setup was not found based on this data, however a completed CD was there in adjusted data which I did trade in the past, few trades were common in both, few successful trades were not present in LTP data, and a trade in 'dishtv' that appeared to have jumped the gun on adjusted data was just fine on LTP data (15-20%move).
After going through all this, I was/am more confused than ever....

Last edited:
Sir,
I have been pretty disturbed last 3-4 days due to this data problem. The problem appeared when I stumbled upon a utility which a member of TJ posted in this thread, it's called quandl that downloads EOD on daily based on actual LTP,
https://www.stockmaniacs.net/quandl-download-free-amibroker-end-of-day-data/#comment-3701
I checked innumerable charts to verify that indeed it was correctly giving LTP EOD daily bars. Based on this data I reviewed 25-30 of my actual trades, in some of losing trades, even the setup was not found based on this data, however a completed CD was there in adjusted data which I did trade in the past, few trades were common in both, few successful trades were not present in LTP data, and a trade in 'dishtv' that appeared to have jumped the gun on adjusted data was just fine on LTP data (15-20%move).
After going through all this, I was/am more confused than ever....
Im inclined towards LTP.
But why not you take your own close price.
For example:
Close = if Close >= LTP, then LTP , else Close.

Like this you can apply some rules of your own to test a good varied sample size of previous Data/Results and then decide on the best fit.

lemondew

ok some senior traders can helpout. something other than charts. Lets say one wants to trade multiple lot size( lets say 4) How do you enter the position. In one go or thru multiple adds. for a trend swing trader if one isnt stopped out for 2 days then slow add positions as and when the move is working or thru one go where you start making money from the word go or loosing it from word go.