General Trading Chat

vivektrader

In persuit of financial independence.
Yes,this fact I have always said that if you are trading a trend following system then trade when the market breaksout/down.....if one starts trading a trend following system in trending as well as sideways, the success rate goes down because the system chops in a sideways phase.

To recognise when the market is in trend and when it is not in trend one has to use some parameters as that trader is using.....

Smart_trade
Sir,
How would you classify nifty currently based on sequential, is it sideways?
There was an interrupted sell setup following a rally after sequential decline.

Sir,
How would you classify nifty currently based on sequential, is it sideways?
There was an interrupted sell setup following a rally after sequential decline.
Yes it is sideways in a large range for almost a month now......we have to look for small trends in the bigger sideways market.

Smart_trade

XRAY27

Nice one.

I like these statements
"we are after all humans and prone to error and emotions. I, in fact in my trading now, have taken into account two wrong trades in my calculations. So when they do come I do not feel bad about it. The idea is not to lose too much when they do appear.

I have observed from my track record earlier that if I get several losing trades I tend to take a bigger position. So now I have a checklist approach of taking a trade. If one goes through 4-5 losing trades the mind would come up with all sorts of excuses not to take the next trade. For me, the checklist helps in pressing the trigger on the next trade."

Best to keep it simple and go with the flow as you said. Deal with the downs along with the ups.
Another part is his win rate "For the intraday trades, the risk-reward of my trades have been 1:3 with a nearly 60 percent success rate. In the case of Nifty with a four-hour chart, the risk-reward is lesser at 1:1.8 but the success rate is higher at 80 percent." ....his win rate looks great !!! my trading method is also trend trading,but i questioned my self ..can i trade hourly for intra ??..which is swing time frame for me..i'm settled with what i trade now with 40 % winrate..in intra..and about same rate in swing..i hold higher rate in positional upto 70 % in daily time frame hardly 2 trades per month... so trading all together with separate capital for each side..

Last edited:

cloudTrader

something churning in pnbhousing too. The entire Housing finance space seems to be on the rise again.
Finance Cos in general probably getting support from Bond yields ranging.
PNB Housing Finance’s shares ended almost 14.50 percent higher on the back of reports that stated that HDFC and Kotak Mahindra Bank were looking to buy controlling stake in the firm. However, both PNB Housing and HDFC have denied such reports.

Source: Moneycontrol

There is a good article in todays Times of India under UTI Swatantra.....it shows that a SIP started at the peak of index value in 2008 and started in the low made in 2009 ( one of the sharpest bear market in Indian markets) and continued for 10 years, the terminal rate of return is just 0.1 % difference...so for SIP, timing the market is not important but time in the market is....nice article to read.

Smart_trade

There is a good article in todays Times of India under UTI Swatantra.....it shows that a SIP started at the peak of index value in 2008 and started in the low made in 2009 ( one of the sharpest bear market in Indian markets) and continued for 10 years, the terminal rate of return is just 0.1 % difference...so for SIP, timing the market is not important but time in the market is....nice article to read.
Smart_trade
Core concept is true, but the difference in returns is probably misleading. SIP started at the peak would still have most of the investments made during and after crash. True pain will be for those who have substantial net worth already invested through SIPs when market reached peak

travi

Core concept is true, but the difference in returns is probably misleading. SIP started at the peak would still have most of the investments made during and after crash. True pain will be for those who have substantial net worth already invested through SIPs when market reached peak
not necessarily, bcos the dip months were say 16-17 but they've averaged out during the flat periods after that.
The 10 years part is key, ie. 120 SIPs.
In that 16-18 SIPs of 2017 for eg. is bull period that undoes the bear mkt effect.
You'd have 50-60 SIPs in the ranging periods of 5-8k still less than 10k

Yes, conviction in mkt is bcos it will all rise even if its the great depression or world wars. Had the peak of 2017 been lower than 2008, that'd be a different story.