First step be a SEBI registered portfolio manager? Be a remisier?

Discussion in 'Trading Career and Jobs' started by Steve_1982, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Steve_1982

Steve_1982 Active Member

I spoke to the regional manager of my broker, Sharekhan, to learn how Sharekhan could help me become a SEBI registered portfolio manager in Kochi.

One of the points I made was that I needed a broker to open client accounts for me to manager and my first choice is Sharekhan because I've not had a major issue in the last 5 years of having them as a broker. The discussion eventually led to me deciding to learn about becoming a remisier first before I become a franchisee owner of Sharekhan.

Am I on the right track to becoming a SEBI registered portfolio manager? Is there an even better course of action that I should be taking?

I'm sensing that a conflict of interest might be there because after reading the remisier porposal, I read about Sharekhan's PMS offerings and I did not discuss about that with the regional manager of Sharekhan.

ndtrader likes this.
  2. ndtrader

ndtrader Member

I am thinking of becoming a PM too eventually. Could you please summarize the information you have gathered on this topic so far? Thanks in advance.

3. ndtrader

ndtrader Member

Thanks for your comments. They make perfect sense to me.

I did some research and it seems that registering as a PM with SEBI is a very expensive proposition - they want net worth to be at least 2 crores, plus 10lakhs for registration charges etc. Is this correct?

Would it make sense to become an Investment Advisor instead? How would this be different from PM, other than the fact that IAs can't trade on behalf of the client?

4. ndtrader

ndtrader Member

True, but it's nice to get some personal opinion/anecdotes too.

5. pannet1

pannet1 Well-Known Member

everything is negotiable. find out list of brokers registered in your targeted exchanges. there is a broker who is using it for trading it with himself. why not use non performing brokers. but there needs to be a mutual trust.

6. ndtrader

ndtrader Member

You misunderstand me. I am far away from entering the PM business. For now I am just exploring and studying various avenues.