Discount Broker Comparison

Got this forward on Whatsapp Today - Does anyone have a clue on this?

Is RKSV Securities the next broker to go bankrupt?

RKSV/Upstox had raised capital from Kalaari Capital in May 2016 however come March 31 2017 most of this capital had eroded and the net worth of RKSV was down to only 14 crores from 24.58 Crores in the earlier year. These facts can be verified from the MCA i.e. the Ministry of Corporate Affairs website. RKSV incurred a loss of Rs. 44766455 crores in FY16 and a loss of 95946324 crores in FY17 and had a burn rate of 80 Lakhs - 1 Crore a month which would lead to complete depletion of capital in the current financial year. In such a financial position, the clients funds and securities maintained with a broker like RKSV are at substantial risk. Of late, there have been quite a few instances of broker default coming to light. In the last two months alone, the BSE and the NSE have suspended few brokers — F6 Finserv, Wealth Mantra, Ficus Securities and CRP Capital Services, amidst allegations of misuse of clients’ money to speculate in the market. In 2017, over half-a-dozen brokers had turned defaulters. Also, Kalaari capital, the only institutional investor in RKSV is looking to sell its stake in Upstox at a huge haircut similar to their desire to exit Snapdeal. Unlike the typical e-commerce businesses which can burn money, stock broking businesses are akin to banks and should have adequate capital requirements. Investors should avoid a mishap like F6, Ficus, etc from happening with RKSV and ensure safety of their funds and securities.

In case of default, what should investors do? The first step is escalate the issue to the investor service cell of the exchanges. If the issue is not resolved within 15 days, bourses themselves will refer the case to Investors’ Grievances Redressal Committee (IGRC). If not satisfied even at IGRC, investors are free to insist on arbitration process.
The first step is to file a written complaint (through arbitration application form, which involves deposit of money) to stock exchanges as early as possible.
However, in case the broker is either expelled or declared defaulter by the exchanges, the door for arbitration is closed. In that case, the exchanges will issue a public advertisement inviting public claims. So, investors have to be vigilant and keep track of the exchanges’ activities.
The Defaulters’ Committee in the exchanges distributes the amount available in the defaulter’s account to the admitted claimants on pro rata basis. In case the funds in the defaulter’s account are insufficient to meet the admitted value of claims, compensation is paid from the Investor Protection Fund, based on the recommendations of the defaulters’ committee, up to a maximum of ₹25 lakh (says NSE) and ₹15 lakh (BSE).
The guidelines are available on the websites of the BSE and the NSE.

bpr

Rksv has atleast 10622 active clients . And whatspp messages is not to be trusted unless there is evidence
So avoid and relax ...
https://www.nseindia.com/invest/content/arbitration_reports/report_1c_2015_16.htm
you are looking at old data
it is 43889
https://www.nseindia.com/invest/content/arbitration_reports/report_1c_2017_18.htm

also see http://www.traderji.com/community/threads/discount-broker-comparison.89681/post-1283005

also interesting you can see in 2 years RKSV grew 4 times (11K to 44k)
where as zerodha grew about 9 times (61k to 540K)

Last edited:

pannet1

I think their transaction charge is high( not sure though) ...not worth imo
i am totally confused bpr.
we can compare the brokerage only, assuming all the other taxes are same.
if you talking only about brokerage when you said transaction charge, i think it depends on what / how much one trades.

if someone looks at a broker who will never go bankrupt (or) is a bank, then Kotak has a big advantage here. Also if someone is an aggressive day trader then they are going to be cheapter than discount brokers like Z.

bpr

i am totally confused bpr.
we can compare the brokerage only, assuming all the other taxes are same.
if you talking only about brokerage when you said transaction charge, i think it depends on what / how much one trades.

if someone looks at a broker who will never go bankrupt (or) is a bank, then Kotak has a big advantage here. Also if someone is an aggressive day trader then they are going to be cheapter than discount brokers like Z.
I meant transaction charge aka turnover charge ...not brokerage

headstrong007

----- Full-Time ----- Day-Trader
@pannet,
Transaction Charge can u hurt even more than Rs 20 per trade brokerage. Just think it deeply.
You fear about a broker to go bankrupt when u are trading with big capital, => You are trading with future or writing option(intraday or positional). Most of the cases such trader with comparative high capital are using little higher volume.

Say you are trading at least 5-10 lots of Bank Nifty average per order, then u may save Rs 40 for both leg order but at the same time u would pay Rs 50-100-200+ Rs extra charge per order. If your average future lot size is higher u will lose even more.

Say transaction charge is Rs 340 which is Rs 150 extra per Cr mean u are paying Rs 30/lot extra for BNF. If your average lot size execution per order is 5 then u r losing Rs 150-40=110 per order, if your average lot size 20 per order execution, then u are losing Rs 440 per order which will add up to a big overall cost.

So transaction charge is the most important thing, unless it is little Rs 20-Rs 50 extra like 190+20=210 Or 190+50=240. Beyond that it diminishes Rs20+20 saving per trade with Rs 999 plan.

Anyone, know what is actual transaction charge with Kotak?

But, usually, transaction charge is not big in Options trading, so if u are writing option with unlimited plan, may be good for u. Not sure about the transaction charge in option there. Lowest transaction in option is Rs 5000.

cloudTrader

Hi cloudTrader

We shall answer your question in two ways assuming you are looking to place single order of 20 Lots in one trade.

1. To place single order of 20 Lots, exchange need INR 16,00,000 (80,000X20) as each lot needs 80,000 margin multiplied with Qty 20. So to trade in Basic FREE plan, you need 8 Lakhs in MIS.

2. Now assuming you have platinum plan (5X), you need 3,20,000 to place single order to trade 20 Lots BNF. Since first 3.2 L shall be free, there shall be charges for next 9,60,000. This comes out to be Approx 654 plus GST.

Thanks
As Finvasia answered in their thread about my query regarding leverage facility if we are trading in higher number of lots then it seems that their leverage facility is of no use. The charges will go very high.

nac

I have this doubt for quite some time now. Lately, with so many brokers offering zero brokerage, I couldn't believe how one can do business without charging any brokerage fee.

I guess it's all started with Zerodha with their 60 day challenge. Now I see few more names like Fyers, Finvasia etc.

What's the catch here? If they are not charging any brokerage fee, how they are doing business? Our money safe with the brokers?

Is their spread wider than other brokerage firms? I have heard about brokerage firms make money from spreads in forex, and I have been in an assumption that's the case with equities as well. But with zero brokerage, I wonder how wide their spread would be.

headstrong007

----- Full-Time ----- Day-Trader
Exchanges shared big profit with brokers on total turnovers they generated.
More the turnover more the profit for brokers, bcoz as turnover increases the slab(per Cr which broker pay to exchange) also decreases.

Scalpers and big volume traders who scaled position multiple times usually attracted by Zero Brokerage Broker. They generate the big turnover, hence indirect earning(through turnover charge profit sharing from exchanges) for such brokers. Also, small option traders are attracted by zero brokerage as they can save Rs 20-20 each trades.

Last edited: