Confused on Today's Close and LTP

Czar said:
1 thing I cant make out, how can we know if the market has opened gap up or not...cause a few scripts open & then the rest & the chart in bseindia, etc I cannot make out if its gapped up ? any clue ?
Hi CZAR

I have an excel sheet, which takes prices from Yahoo, and create a list of scrip that opened up or down. It compares the last day closing price and todays open price to decide the same. If thats what you want, I can give u the sheet or if you can code your self, we can discuss it.

Best Regards
Coool.

lazytrader

AMO hit the exchange the first thing on the next trading day and there are wild swings. Even if a script gaps the gap will be quickly filled. It is when the gap is not fill in a few minutes that it becomes interesting.

Like 18th May for eg. Although Nifty doesn't show a gap check the futures. On that day Nifty actually gapped since there only only 300cr of trading in 40 secs on nifty but the opening price doesn't reflect that. So gaps are again not just numerical difference.

Thanks for the quick response. Which one is more important for technical analysis or even if we dont want to do technical analysis, which one is a better indicator of closing price?
In as much as technical analysts use end of day price on charts, closing price rather than last trade is the right thing to go by
K.Seshadri

Can anyone tell me the difference between Today's Close and Last Traded price. In some of the stock I track I see a difference in these two rates.
There is a difference between Today's Close and Last Traded Price (LTP).
The closing price is calculated by averaging the prices during the last 30 minutes of Trading hours. While LTP is the is the price at which the last matched trade took place i.e. a buyer could find a seller at that particular price.

LTP gives a better picture in a stock movements. For example, if a stock was trading at INR 1000 at 3.00 p.m. but in the last half an hour a news came in, which resulted in a price hike in the stock to INR 1040. Here LTP is INR 1040. But when we will calculate its Closing price it would average the prices traded in the last 30 mins and would give Close Price as 1010 (hypothetically).

So, close price might not depict a true surge, due to which LTP should be considered.:thumb:

mastermind007

The closing price is calculated by averaging the prices during the last 30 minutes of Trading hours. While LTP is the is the price at which the last matched trade took place i.e. a buyer could find a seller at that particular price.

LTP gives a better picture in a stock movements. For example, if a stock was trading at INR 1000 at 3.00 p.m. but in the last half an hour a news came in, which resulted in a price hike in the stock to INR 1040. Here LTP is INR 1040. But when we will calculate its Closing price it would average the prices traded in the last 30 mins and would give Close Price as 1010 (hypothetically).

So, close price might not depict a true surge, due to which LTP should be considered.:thumb:
Megha Saini

I don't know how, but you've stumbled upon a very old, but nice thread with a very critical question and by replying to it, you brought it up on the surface. Thank you very much for that.

To Traderji Mods:

This reply from M Saini highlights a classic issue of the Traderji site. If one make a random search from Google or any other search engine on any particular phrase or topic, he may easily find a very old thread from Traderji but if a person want to see what he had posted 500 posts before, he cannot do so. I did see that someone else had raised some objection against this anomaly in some other thread and I am just re-asserting that as an issue in this thread, because this thread is a very good example.

rkkarnani

The Data we get , if its real time or even when its IEOD, we get the LTP only as the Average Price is not calculated. So in our Intraday charts we automatically get the actual traded price on last bar.

If we Download EOD data , say from NSE or Subscribe to an EOD data feed, we get the Adjusted close as the Close price of the day.

As someone had posted earlier in this thread that actual LTP is a better option when looking at short term charts and Adj. Close when analying Longer period charts.

BTW, you seem to have responded to an almost 5+ years old thread though the subject shall remain relevant 5 years hence ! :thumb: