Commodities Newbie Here

ashu1234

Which charting software & data feed do you recommend?

As long as I dont hv the feed, will it be possible for you to share (ok at least the 2)
Browse through data feed section you can get many vendors.
Price range from as low as 500 p.m to more than 5000 p.m
Select what suits you.

Today was expiry and I got the msg saying that no trading will be allowed in Aluminium,Lead,Nickel,Zinc after 5:35 pm..and accordingly I can see those 4 charts became silent.

This is first time I am seeing this..

Before this , I have experienced an expiry of crude oil...but it was allowed to trade for the full day..

1.Why are things different for base metals?
2.Does the same things happen with gold and silver too?

One more thing sir!

Please see the attached image...

What I can see is that the expired contracts(31st July) have lesser daily range (H-L) than the the respective next month counterparts(30Aug)!!

1.Is this a normal thing for all expiries?
2.Is this shrinkage evident only on the expiry day or does it sets in beforehand?Also, how many days beforehand?

Attachments

ashu1234

Hi,
If you remember i mentioned except copper, all other metals are traded on LME, so that's the cut off time for LME traded contracts, so they expire in evening.

About range contraction on expiry, yes its normal because of rollovers. Most positions move from current contract to next contract that's why not much activity in current contract.

New rollovers in aug contract are bearish, nice point to short lead...:thumb:

About range contraction on expiry....

1.Does this relative shrinkage in current month's range becomes apparent only on the expiry day or it starts some days prior to the actual expiry date?

2.If it starts to be visible from some days prior to the actual expiry date, then approx how many days is it? (THE PURPOSE OF ASKING THIS QUESTION IS TO DETERMINE WHEN TO SWITCH OVER TRADING FROM CURRENT MONTH'S CONTRACT TO NEXT MONTH'S CONTRACT)

3. Is this shrinkage phenomena visible in all commodities?

Last edited:
I'm new to commodity trading. I have been trading Futures on shares for the last three years based on technical analysis based on data downloaded from Cash Market. Where and how do I get similar data (like EOD OHLCV) for commodities. MCX provides bhavcopy for futures - but i dont see similar data for cash market. Thanks in advance for any help!

ashu1234

1.Does this relative shrinkage in current month's range becomes apparent only on the expiry day or it starts some days prior to the actual expiry date?

2.If it starts to be visible from some days prior to the actual expiry date, then approx how many days is it? (THE PURPOSE OF ASKING THIS QUESTION IS TO DETERMINE WHEN TO SWITCH OVER TRADING FROM CURRENT MONTH'S CONTRACT TO NEXT MONTH'S CONTRACT)

3. Is this shrinkage phenomena visible in all commodities?
Happens with most of the commodities before 2-3 days, but no clear cut pattern to make a thumb rule to trade or rollover.

ashu1234

I'm new to commodity trading. I have been trading Futures on shares for the last three years based on technical analysis based on data downloaded from Cash Market. Where and how do I get similar data (like EOD OHLCV) for commodities. MCX provides bhavcopy for futures - but i dont see similar data for cash market. Thanks in advance for any help!
Hi,
There is no cash market for commodity, coz only are traded on mcx so you won't similar data on mcx, coz delivery of the commodity happens at international level(most of the cases).