books and change in your viewpoint

onlinegtrash

I am not sure why this thread was closed (it seems thread starter wanted to):
http://www.traderji.com/words-wisdom/93353-life-changing-books-4.html

I do believe in the incredible power of books to change a man's life.

Even a single new idea is good enough to bring great changes in the persons mind and world!
Eg: Darwin's simple idea of evolution, radically changed every field (engineering, medicine, finance, politics etc. ) it touched.

So am starting the thread again... we will focus on interesting books, why you see it as cool and what's the change it has brought in you and other info.

-------
1) what's the book:
Surfaces and Essences: Analogy as the fuel and fire of thinking
Douglas Hofstadter and Emmanuel Sander

2) why its cool:
This book explains the core of thinking process which we often take it for granted (like gravity).

3) what changes it has brought in me:
some new definition of intelligence.
Usually I thought intelligence as having big IQ or solving big/complex problems but still the definition is not fine tuned. This book suggests:
"Intelligence is capturing the essence of things, ignoring the noise and acting on the essence"...
what differentiate an intelligent general and the dumb ones?
The ability to grasp the essence of the situation and acting on it without getting swept away from noise! Well that applies to traders too! This is true with expert and novice in any field!
Intelligence is also 'connecting the dots' seeing the invisible things...

Now how to get there? Its through analogies, metaphors and categorizations!
I have always thought analogies and metaphors as 'poetic' things or at best crutch to understand complex things and nothing more than that.
But the book explains how analogies are the very core of all thinking process not a cosmetic thing or temporary learning wheels, it's the engine!

4) other info:
it has plenty of historical examples from Galileo, Einstein, Archimedes and history of math equations, stories of creative thinkers who made break throughs and lots of interesting tidbits... you can also watch the author's awesome talk in youtube, search "Douglas Hofstadter"

Interestingly metaphors are extensively used in psycho therapy too (google/youtube: ACT Therapy), first I thought this is juuuuuuuuuuust too much of story telling.
Analogies and Metaphors make opaque object into understandable thing. This opaque thing could be our behavior (anger/addiction etc) or motion of planets!

Waking up to the power and working of analogies is the first step in opening a persons third conceptual eye.
With this conceptual eye we have made cognitive leap no animals can ever dare, we tame subatomic particles to path to mars!

Last edited:

onlinegtrash

From amazon today I bought

Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid.
book written by: Douglas Hofstadter

----------
I am increasingly becoming a fan of Douglas Hofstadter!

What's this book about?
It's about mathematical structures, recursion, nature of reality, computation, consciousness and many other deep philosophical things.

Its a big book (700+ pages) and has won Pulitzer Prize.

So... I have philosophical snacks pack for this entire year which I can chew on whenever I have free time and gain some interesting insight about this world too!

onlinegtrash

Did you find easy to understand?
Do you think it can be understood by someone with an average IQ?
I have mathematics, engineering and computer science background so naturally I find his works interesting.

I think average IQ is enough to understand the book, the book is written for general audience. I have read initial chapters in pdf form but yet to read the full book, I guess it may take 6-12 months based on my free time!

I believe average IQ never stops anyone from understanding complex/novel things,
but low IQ shuts down the curiosity circuits in their brain and their minds-eye suffer from severe short sightedness and such people don't appreciate useful abstract concepts that are removed from daily life.

If you are curious then you should give it a go.
You can watch his talks/lectures on youtube to start with and download his book in pdf from bittorrent and see for your self, if his ideas fascinate you! The book is truly multidisciplinary it touches physics, language, biology, music, art, history, anthropology, computer algorithms, spirituality, cognitive science... and much more!

Just like stock market to enjoy these type of books one should have built some cognitive capital and the rich get richer! It's more about your cognitive capital, mindset and thinking tools than raw IQ and memory power. Unlike stock market there is no risk of ruin and you will always come out as slightly better you, so its always a win-win!

I have always wondered about "I", and spiritual questions like "Who am I", how does the "I" arises out of brain circuits... I have always wondered about 'emergence' in complex systems... I have always wondered about Artificial intelligence and decision making algorithms... I have always wondered about the nature of reality and questions like what humans can know and can never know? how far we can know?... I have wondered about paradoxes and circular statements and mathematical constructs around it... and.... ofcourse have wondered how to make use of these ideas to make some money and solve some real world problems.

So there is enough 'curiosity fuel' in me atleast to read someone's novel ideas, even if I don't have enough brains to come up with original ideas on my own. (who knows when I have enough cognitive capital and imagination, some day I can think like these guys too!).